Painted doors, came out dimply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've painted a new door and I'm not happy with the finish. It's not smooth at all.

There's a picture here which is a close-up and directly under a spotlight, so it really shows up the texture - in reality it doesn't look nearly as bad as this!!

Here's what I did to get here:
Both paints were a couple years old, but well mixed with a paint mixing drill attachement.

Any suggestions of what I've done wrong and how I can fix it?

Cheers

Pete

Sponsored Links
paint rollers leave a textured finish.

I think the dimples are due to using a roller. Try a brush.

The vertical scratches we can also see in the photo are due to you sanding after painting.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, I'll try again with a brush.
I guess I should just sand it back before trying again, but with what grade? As you can see, my 600 just seemed to make things worse!

Any suggestions before I tackle it this evening?
I want to get it nice and smooth before repainting, but my previous attempt suggests sanding will just make it worse…!

I want to get it nice and smooth before repainting, but my previous attempt suggests sanding will just make it worse…!

Sanding before painting is fine, both to flatten any imperfections and to give the surface some roughness for the paint to stick to.

But sanding after painting the top coat is... a very strange thing to do.

If you used a water-based gloss, I think you will find it very difficult to sand. It may roll up under the paper.

The paint might be harder in a month or two.

When you can sand it, unhang it and lie it flat, and give it a coat of thinned liquid gloss.

You need to get it on with a deeper pile roller to get enough paint on the door, and then lay it off with a decent brush.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back