Good quality wooden gate and hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't know whether to put this here, doors & windows, or in general.

Our wooden gate needs replacing. It leads from the front of the house into a small side alley (and historically the back garden before the previous owners extended outwards).

I've seen what the likes of Wickes and B&Q offer, and they don't look particularly strong or sturdy. Are there any better gates out there? Maybe made of hardwood. Current gate is approx 910x1825mm. I'd like one with an arched top. Doesn't need to be framed (as this limits what can be carried through) but I will need one post replacing.

Also the current gate has bogstandard T-hinges which have clearly sagged over time (the door sticks and I have to lift it up from the handle when it's been raining). What would be a better replacement?

Sponsored Links
Hook and band hinges

A ledged, braced and framed gate

Possibly add an extra diagonal from top hinge side to bottom lock side, or a metal strap on coach bolts

If you can lift it off its hinges you may be able to lay it flat and knock it back to shape in dry weather when the joints are loose.

A proper fencing supplier may be your best bet.
They tend to have quality products made from thicker timber

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back