Good riddance tobacco!

There is a very strong argument for banning alcohol on health grounds, and that's not even looking at the damage it does to family relationships and society in general.

It's another incredibly dangerous drug. IF we all smoke dope and popped Ecstacy we would be far healthier as individuals and as a society. BUt they are illegal.

Sponsored Links
I did mention any ban on tobacco as being the thin end of a rather large wedge, and now some mention a ban on alcohol. There was an item on the news last week about something like 2 out of 3 children live with someone who binge drinks. (they didn't mention whether this was regular binge drinking (more than 6 units of alcohol in one session) or kids who live with parents who like a drink at Christmas etc) (the government call anyone who drinks more than 2,1/2 -3 pints of beer in one session a binge drinker Who are they kidding?)

Anyway, some will be pleased to know, that I've mad the decision to quit smoking (not quite just yet). I have an appointment at my doc's with the "Smoking Cessation Clinic" in a weeks time. (just in time for "Stoptober" )

I don't think it will be easy though, but perhaps with some help from patches or Champix tablets, or even an electronic cigarette, I'm determined to quit.
Steady on though,, I won't become one of those hypocrites who decry smoking, or people's rights to choose to do so (unlike my dad who quit about 13 yrs ago after smoking 60 Park Drive plain daily for years and became a real pain in the neck)
;) ;)

I don't think it will be easy though, but perhaps with some help from patches or Champix tablets, or even an electronic cigarette, I'm determined to quit.

Pharmaceutical products have a very high failure rate

My girlfriend quit through will power, and this book may help http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0140277633 (though she had quit half way through reading it, so her recommendation should be taken with a pinch of salt).

If you just go cold turkey, she said that after 3 days it's physically out your system, but the craving stays for months and months, AND STAY AWAY FROM PUBS for at least a few months.

Sponsored Links
Anyway, some will be pleased to know, that I've mad the decision to quit smoking (not quite just yet). I have an appointment at my doc's with the "Smoking Cessation Clinic" in a weeks time. (just in time for "Stoptober" )
How long have you decided?
I don't think it will be easy though, but perhaps with some help from patches or Champix tablets, or even an electronic cigarette, I'm determined to quit
I know it's not going to be easy but I wish you for the very best of luck. Maybe a new hobby to take your mind of it, there's some here who are ex-smokers and I'm sure they will help you find a way.

I used to be a heavy drinker so I fully understand, there will be up and down but you're heading in the right direction and good luck!

jj, i gave up mid may and i still gag, i bought a cycle to keep the weight down and it works. My problem is i smoke gange and as i don't do baccy no more i smoke pure green.
I have a few , 8 cans religiously every night but at the moment i have run out of canna in the last few days and will not pay for it so, it's even harder for me.
But if your just a smoker, i think you will find it ok to do this, my weight as leveled out at about half a stone overweight.
I feel a hell of a lot better, especially knowing i can watch my grandchildren grow up, give it a go, and i smoked since primary school.
What peeses me off is my other half smokes like a trooper at 47, and her mother, a heavy smoker died of a stroke ay 40 :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Do it for your family, they are worth it. Good luck.

I quit smoking a year ago but had wanted to quit for about 2 years prior to that. I think it would tak eaway people's liberty if they banned smoking but I do believe that it would be a better country if we did so. If they could go back in time I would bet my nuts on the fact they would make cigarettes illegal.
Its a mugs game smoking, and Im very glad I quit. HAving siad that, I always loved smoking and a well timed cigarette in certain situations is pure bliss......

I always loved smoking and a well timed cigarette in certain situations is pure bliss......
It's what keeps you coming back for more.

If they could go back in time I would bet my nuts on the fact they would make cigarettes illegal.
I thought about presenting this argument but is simply not credible.

I was thinking along the lines that if tobacco was only discovered recently would they get a licence to produce a highly addictive cancer causing product? Probably.

It was not that long ago that fags were actually pedalled as "cool".

Just thought I'd let you all know,,, I'm now amongst the ranks of ex smokers, thanks in part to the Champix tablets I've been on for the past 12 days. Had my last cigarette on Tuesday (and then only 2 drags on it , before crushing it out) Gave me tobacco and lighter away and am now determined to never smoke again. ;) ;) ;)

PS,, I've not yet (and hopefully won't) turned into the hypocrites, many ex smokers seem to become.

Booooo :LOL:

Don't you miss the enjoyment though???

To be honest, I do miss the "nicotine hit" and the regular habit, that was smoking. Got to find something to do with my hands though. I'm still sat here in front of the computer and find myself occasionally reaching for my tobacco tin (which isn't there any more) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back