good workmanship?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Self cert works a treat...............

If you don't already know SELECT is the only Scottish self cert scheme.

Can you run ELV and LV cables circuits in same enclosure?

see any faults?

Sponsored Links
rcd and non-rcd circuits sharing the same neutral bar?
or is there another one hidden somewhere else.

too much copper showing at the top of the mcb's for my liking

spiders nest wiring

edit:
how many mcb's do they need to double up on cct cables with or does this install just have load of rings?

Too much Cu showing.
Uninsulated joint, (even if it is only a bell circuit).
ELV & LV 'bunched' in same enclosure.
Bare earth across centre of picture.
Outer sheaths should be trimmed neater if only for aesthtic appearance.
Suspect there is another neutral bar by cables passing to the left and there isn't enough in the one that is on show.
Neatness is not a strong point!

No insulation on SELV cable joint.
SELV cables not to LV spec but in same enclosure.
Copper showing on Line cables.
No date for next test due (5 years is not a date even if last test date shown).
Rest of faults not really a worry so do I get my C&G 2391?
No well tough I already have it!!!
Eric

Sponsored Links
3 rings is not "a lot" of rings in a rewire..
1 downstairs, 1 upstairs, and 1 kitchen..

In third pic there appears to be 4 rings but could be two radials off one breaker.

In third pic there appears to be 4 rings but could be two radials off one breaker.

The LHS one is probably the transformer supply being fed off a lighting circuit MCB.
Have used the cheese wire method to strip back the twin and earth.
Could be argued that the transformer shouldn't be inside the consumer unit - it isn't made by the CU manufacturer and it is shallower than MCBs so could compromise IP rating.

There is that bell transformer fed from, hopefully an appropriately rated MCB, or have they found a way to feed it from Crabtree's enclosed busbar system?

thanks to all

it was a split board prior to new regs - 3 rings seems fine new build 4 bed detached.

The CU is rough, as you can see from the pictures.

"Cheesewire" can be argued til the cows come home I was taught this at college many moons ago.

My main concern was the doorbell joint( if you can call twisting a joint) uninsulated 12vac in 230vac enclosure with the chance of the 2 meeting and blowing the doorbell off the wall.There are issues with the proximity of cables elv and lv which I would never do but we've all see it in trunking, through walls etc - though in the same enclosure unless barriered seems wrong but manufacturers supply them for this purpose.

My other point was the self cert issue - this is on the site of a major builder with the contractor self certing their work - just proves scheme membership proves nothing.

I always have a poke about at other peoples work when I get the chance to see the good and bad. While i'm on about it...............

Another trend I have noticed is the twisting of the cpc's at lightswitches with sleeving on and no connector (loop in dry line boxes) usually niceic is this acceptable? it has been done in my current house and last house.

When you have to unwind the cpc -twisted all the way back to the sheath- it is "work hardened" and can break.

anybody seen this

All the time, probably cost cutting as usual - saves using too much CPC sleeving !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back