What do I REALLY need? Homers, Private Jobs Etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[Hi, I'm a sparks and employed by a company but have been asked to carry out some private work. What do I really need? Later on I plan going Self employed so looking to start up my business along side my regular day job. But £360 + insurance etc is a killer if I only do a few jobs to start with!
I know I have to register my second income.
I know about Public Liability Insurance.

Do I have to be registered with NAPIT etc? As they want 5 jobs and certs to asses and if I haven't got Part P certs etc this makes it akward.
If I need to register work with Part P. Can I pay for individual certs or does anyone know of a scheme, which only covers me for less than 10 jobs a year?

Any help inthis subject would be greatly appreciated.
[/i]

Sponsored Links
NAPIT have a scheme called "JUST8" which covers you for eight notifiable jobs a year at a reduced cost.
I'm not sure if they still do it though, you'll need to ask them.

Do they still do the JUST 8 scheme??
I didn't think it was much cheaper than the full scheme!

If you are not doing many notifyable jobs then I'd think about just going through your LABC....

Also just make sure that your jobs come from your leads and not your boss'. And that you use your own tools, test equipment and materials.

Sponsored Links
I'd have a look at ELECSA if I were you, I've always got on very well with them.

Its still a lot of wedge to shell out on a 'just-in-case' basis, but I think you'll find the registration process very easy to get along with.

360 to register with a compentent persons scheme might seem a lot, but if you notify direct to your LABC, they will probably charge at least 100 per notification - so it only takes 3 or 4 jobs per year and you would have already spent more than the 360.

Thanks for the replies. I must admit I didn't think LABC would charge £100 per cert!
Thats extortionate! Especially if all you wanted to do was an outside socket!
So to get ELECSA registered I need 2 jobs without Bathrooms kitchens, outside sockets or Outhouses seperate from the existing building.
£2 000 000 Public liability Insurance £100+ per annum
and Must upgrade within a year to 17th Edition C & G 2392 @ £350.
Inthe middle of a recession, with the hope of earning a few extra pennies.

Or I could get caught and go to Prison?
Gotta Love PART P
Did a hear NIC EIC mention they where going to relax Part P abit the other day?
Anyone got any info on that?

Gotta Love PART P
The only extra cost is registration.

Having calibrated test equipment - you should anyway.

Using it and issuing EICs/MWCs - you should anyway.

Having PLI & PII - you should anyway.

Keeping up to date with technical and regulatory changes - you should anyway.

Did a hear NIC EIC mention they where going to relax Part P abit the other day?
Anyone got any info on that?
It's news to me that NICEIC have powers to relax Government legislation, but there ya go....

I understand that. But being Employed on a company our boss and subcontracts manager have taken 17th edition and only have to give an instructional Talk to us the employees. They're not willing to pay out for each of us the cost of the course as yet and inthe current Financial climate. I supply my own test kit and get it Calibrated through my employer. So will have to sort that out myself I know.
All I needed to know was there a scheme I could inlist on which cost less to cover a limited amount of jobs. ie. NAPIT just8. and LABC which I now know the cost is as cheap as Full registration to ELECSA anyway.
But until that day, I cannot get PART P certification cost effectively to make these small jobs pay. But as for insurance etc and certificate and test results for jobs which do not need PART P & and the LABC being informed.
It's not very easy to start up a business to run along side my current employment to get a half substantial client base without aload of cash to do so within the first instance. For it to even break even within the first year I'd have to earn over £900+ not including van insurance etc.
For my first year on a sideline 2nd income taxation, thats alot of work to do to not get anywhere apart from less time with my new daughter.
But Thanks for you demeaning reply Poppit XXX

It's not very easy to start up a business to run along side my current employment to get a half substantial client base without aload of cash to do so within the first instance. For it to even break even within the first year I'd have to earn over £900+ not including van insurance etc.
For my first year on a sideline 2nd income taxation, thats alot of work to do to not get anywhere apart from less time with my new daughter.
But Thanks for you demeaning reply Poppit XXX

Now you know how the rest of the self employed electricians feel who have probably spent thousands setting up their businesses. You are also starting to appreciate how difficult it is for your employer to keep their business running and staff employed. It's not easy! And you might need to take a loan and run at loss for the 1st year. The previous post was not "demeaning" but expressing an opinion based on reality. You won't get any sympathy especially as you are taking business from other electrical contracting businesses whilst in full time employment.

sparkiemike";p="1118339 said:
as you are taking business from other electrical contracting businesses whilst in full time employment.
The more and more my hours get cut the more I'm looking to try & earn abit more to keep my head above water as aload of our firms down here are going bust, making redundances, and/and cutting back hours even days to 3 day weeks.
I'm not looking to not pay my tickets etc, if I was going to do that I wouldn't bother wasting my time here.
It would be easier for myself just to go do the jobs!!!!
I'm here to see if I can make it pay, get guidance and help to make a start to build up a business.
I never stated that I was doing work "under the counter" so it were. I just needed to know the most cost effective way of starting up my own business.
All the "should already" isn't really neccesary when I'm employed and haven't started already. It's not the context of the post that p***ed me off it's the manner it came across.

As for Part P, I heard they were going to "Cut some of the Red Tape" that went along with it.
But I'll look into that and find out what it's all about.

Question, is there many electricians that make a great loss inthere first year? Besides buying vans and tools which are not a loss, more of an investment?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back