What can i do exactly?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What as a qualified sparky can I do in regards to electrical work in a domestic situation or commercial / industrial.? Currently employed and so I don't get involved with part p notifying etc we simply fill out a certificate for each job we do and hand it in to the office where they sort out the rest. I was thinking to earn some extra cash about doing some work on the side, but this is where I think there is a lot of confusion regarding part p etc etc. 

Could I do non - notifiable work in a domestic environment (and I believe the list of items this includes has changed as of jan 1st?) and issue a certificate (eg minor works) without being a scheme member?

How about commercial / industrial work? As that is not covered by part p, could I do any work including new circuits and fuse board changes for example, issue a certificate and get away with it?

Obviously I know about having relevant insurance etc before doing anything, just a tad confused on how far one can go with it!

Thanks. Chris. 

Sponsored Links
What as a qualified sparky can I do in regards to electrical work in a domestic situation or commercial / industrial.? ... Could I do non - notifiable work in a domestic environment (and I believe the list of items this includes has changed as of jan 1st?) and issue a certificate (eg minor works) without being a scheme member?
Anyone (not necessarily an electrician) can undertake non-notifiable domestic electrical work and issue a cerificate. If the certificates are issued by a non-electrician, many people may be uninclined to take them too seriously - but in your case that shouldn't be a problem. Similarly, anyone can undertake notifiable domestic electrical work, provided that they notify (although the cost of that would probably make you very non-competitive compared with self-certifying electricians). Come April, you theoretically should be able to get an appropriately registered spark to 'sign off' any notifiable work you do (for a price, as yet unclear!), much the same as if it were their own self-certified work. ... and, yes, the changes in April will reduce the number of domestic jobs which are notifiable. Obviously all domestic electrical work has to be compliant with part P - which, in practice, usually means compliant with BS7671.

I haven't a clue about the commercial/industrial situation, but I'm sure otehrs will be able to answer that one for you.

Kind Regards, John

What as a qualified sparky can I do in regards to electrical work in a domestic situation 
Just about anything, unless your going to do micro-generation then you will probably need to be part of a Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) which will require the relevant qualification such as environmental awareness and 2399 for PV.
Obviously, there are limitation to the work that you can self certificated at this moment (that could change a little in April with proposals that are being made) and that will just about limit you to minor works, even though some minor works will require notification.
I would personally suggest getting, some evidence of work to be assessed and get on an installers scheme. Will cost about £450 but you can pull that back with the savings made from self cert notifications.
You can actually use evidence in you own property.
I have worked on industrial side but on books, just handed certs over, so not sure if you need to be a member of an authorizing body, as I currently have little interest in working in that sector at the moment, so not sure.

Thanks John and PBoD. Ah so those changes like kitchen works and o/s works being non notifies or don't come in until April, my mistake! Anyone else know about industrial work? Oh and agricultural too. Thanks Chris.

Sponsored Links
Ah so those changes like kitchen works and o/s works being non notifies or don't come in until April
Well according to the draft, I think it is best waiting for conformation of that.
Also could I add, if you are working on a shop, public house etc.. where there is a common supply where that supply also feeds a dwelling.
Then part p would need to be conformed to.

Ah so those changes like kitchen works and o/s works being non notifies or don't come in until April
Well according to the draft, I think it is best waiting for conformation of that.
As I keep saying, it ain't going to change. If you look here, you will see that it says:
Changes coming into force on 6 April 2013

The new 2013 edition of Approved Document P has been made available for download below. In 2013, the current edition of Approved Document P will be withdrawn and replaced by a new edition Approved Document P (2013).

The changes in the 2013 edition take effect on 6 April 2013 for building work carried out in England and for excepted energy buildings in Wales. The current 2006 edition will continue to apply to building work started before 6 April 2013 or subject to a building notice, full plans application or initial notice submitted before 6 April 2013.
On the same page, it also provides a download of the 'new' Approved Doc P, of which it says "For use after 6th April 2013".

What we are looking at is no 'draft', in the normal sense of the word. It is merely a guide refering to legislation which, although effected and 'published', has not yet come into force.

Kind Regards, John

Also could I add, if you are working on a shop, public house etc.. where there is a common supply where that supply also feeds a dwelling. Then part p would need to be conformed to.
Yes, but as we're always saying, compliance with Part P is not reallythe issue. Part P merely requires that an electrical installation be designed and constructed safely (so as to avoid risk to persons or of fire) - and I'm sure the same also applies (no matter what rules/regulations apply to it) to commercial/industrial work!

Kind Regards, John

Also could I add, if you are working on a shop, public house etc.. where there is a common supply where that supply also feeds a dwelling. Then part p would need to be conformed to.
Yes, but as we're always saying, compliance with Part P is not reallythe issue. Part P merely requires that an electrical installation be designed and constructed safely (so as to avoid risk to persons or of fire) - and I'm sure the same also applies (no matter what rules/regulations apply to it) to commercial/industrial work!

Part P as well as regulating the safety aspects, also covers notification, which I think is an issue and information that the OP was inquiring about and was trying give them a heads up, just in case they were unaware of the details given on page 5.

Reading the new Part P it appears that work in kitchens, gardens etc will be non-notifiable but running a new circuit to supply it is notifable.

The approved document does, and the information as already stated was given in regards to what is required when one common supply is supplying both com and dom.
Not getting in to a bullshit debate on word play.

Reading the new Part P it appears that work in kitchens, gardens etc will be non-notifiable but running a new circuit to supply it is notifable.
It can't do as BAS said that notification has nothing to do with part p.
:eek:

But the approved document does indeed indicate that.

Reading the new Part P.
There is no new Part P - it's still this: ....
Indeed so (at least, one imagines so). However, one can but assume that (although there is as yet no evidence of these on legislation websites)some other aspects of the Building Regs (including Schedule 4) must be changing on or before 6th April, in according to accommodate the changes being 'announced' in the new Approved Doc P which 'comes into force' on that day.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back