NICEIC, NAPIT etc...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering joing a scheme such as Napit or the NIC so I can self certify my own work. I am currently employed by a firm and fully qualified, but as I keep getting asked to do 'private' work, think I ought to register.

I know NICEIC are probabily the best well known scheme but I wouldn't worry about that at the moment, just the cheapest one really.
How much does it cost with the varying companies, and what are the benefits etc. Would there be a problem even if I only did a smallish number of jobs each year.

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Check out all the web sites and the costs are all there. Dont forget you'll need calibrated test equipment as well.

You'll need reasonably up to date qualifications too. Charges vary also depending if you want to do full scope or limited scope work. Its a mess - why didnt they do a single scheme like CORGI did for gas....

NAPIT used to have a deal limited to 8 jobs a year (JUST8). Not sure if they still do it though.....

Thanks TTC, I only qualified last year so fairly upto date! just had a look at the napit site but couldnt find any prices?? I could possibly 'borrow' :confused: my test kit from work.. I was thinking today about starting my own business anyway, but I know I am still learning a lot and sometimes I may come unstuck.... (odd fault finding etc..)

Sponsored Links
I'm getting a runtime error on the page for entry requirements for joining the electrical scheme.

Joining Fee (Gas member) Joining Fee (not a Gas member) Yearly Renewal Fee Additional Operatives
Gas Safety Scheme £375* £375* £175 £53
Plumbing Scheme £250 £300 £175 £53
Electrical Scheme £250 £300 £175 £53
Ventilation Scheme £250 £300 £175 £53

The registration year for all CORGI scheme's runs from 1st April through to the 31st March the following year. Please note your registration will need to be renewed by the 31st March each year regardless of the month you join CORGI.

If you join two or more schemes at the same time (excluding the gas scheme) additional scheme fees are reduced to £100 per additional scheme.

All fees are exclusive of VAT

*£175 membership fee and £200 assessment fee.

That totals £625 for scheme plus membership plus assessment.

Try elecsa correct me if wrong but £360 all in

Yes it is a mess - they all operate to the same standard but all have slightly different requirements for qualifications that are acceptable and when you got them or even by when you are allowed to get them. Add to that slightly different requirements on what they want for the practical assessment(s). Then they all have slightly different requirements for the various bits of paperwork, policies and procedures you have to show them.

So - scour their websites, ring them up, get things confirmed in writing and make your choice. My scheme changed its mind about what it wanted then had to change it back again when I produced emails from their head office saying what they wanted.

One scheme would do us all a favour at least the public knows what CORGI is for - try explaining NAPIT ELECSA etc to a client!

yes you are right, it is a mess, i am trying to choose. i have been doing some research with many people i know and as far as domestic attitudes are concerned, no body as heard of any of them other than corgi and they assume it is gas.

Corgi Electrical is a defined scope scheme, I investigated it myself.

Its really for plumbers/gas fitters who do some electrical work as part of their main trade.

Personally,

Not a fan of NICEIC
ECA is not really designed for sole traders
NAPIT, heard mixed things
ELECSA are very good, not too expensive, down to earth assesors, not too demanding qualifications wise, helpful advice line. Also, a lot of the best sparks I have come across (probably co-incidence, but worth mentioning) are registered with them.

Its really for plumbers/gas fitters who do some electrical work as part of their main trade.
Even more reason to wonder if it will keep going after April '09

Not a fan of NICEIC
ECA is not really designed for sole traders
NAPIT, heard mixed things
ELECSA are very good, not too expensive, down to earth assesors, not too demanding qualifications wise, helpful advice line. Also, a lot of the best sparks I have come across (probably co-incidence, but worth mentioning) are registered with them.
BSI?

Very high recognition factor for that kitemark logo...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back