part p registration, who do you recommend to join

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am self employed electrician and have been doing small electrical work, i have used the local BC for certs where needed but iam being asked to do bigger jobs now which organisation is best to join, NICEIC, ECA, ELECSA, NAPIT.

THEY ALL HAVE DIFFERENT CRITERIA TO QUALIFY

Sponsored Links
You forgot BSI...

Speaking as an outsider, NAPIT is the scheme I respect the most, as it is the only one which is based on each individual being assessed, (i.e. none of this Qualified Supervisor looking after a bunch of knuckle-draggers), and the only one which requires 2391.

But JP won't know/care about/understand that.

NICEIC is, I guess the best known to JP, but, IMO, the one that has most shamefully prostituted itself with the "instant electrician" schemes.

But JP won't know/care about/understand that. Until word gets round that some of the people registered by NICEIC are like wild west deputies - just cowboys with a badge.

If you want to take a pride in your organisation, I'd say NAPIT.

If you want something with more recognition, in your place I'd give BSI serious consideration. It may not have the recognition regarding electrical installers that NICEIC or ECA do, and it's registration criteria may be no better, but overall I think that more JPs have heard of the BSI than either of those two, and I think it's a brand that people respect, and the kitemark is a very widely known logo.

PS_0018.jpg

My 2p-worth, anyway.

Although BAS has made a few comments that I don't 100% agree with, he is correct on his overall assessment.

NAPIT is the way to go, their website is shiite, but their severice is 2nd to none according to a lot of Sparks I know that have done the Part P thing.

I'd go with NAPIT...but the choice is yours..

thanks for your comments, i feel like a contestant now on a game show

"the choice is yours"

all joking aside it really is a nightmare, having talked to the nic/eic (non profit making organisation) my a**e. i spoke to different people who gave me contrasting answers.

confused, you will be

Sponsored Links
When I took my decision I hadn`t heard of NAPIT otherwise I would probably have joined them (Zurich was one option then).
I spoke to them all asking various questions and realised two of them had the same assessors.
I decided on ELECSA and found them to be pretty good and the BBA assessors were brilliant (two of them - one was a trainee).
I do really respect the NAPIT each man not 1 qualifying supervisor approach but to a one man band like me that is not an issue with any of them.
I think the bottom line regarding total costs first year then successive years is pretty much the same with ELECSA & NAPIT whilst BSI being very expensive (I heard a rumour they were ringing folk up and asking "Oh what fee would you like to pay then" )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back