Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I posed a question to Doncaster LABC via email:

My email:

Sent: 19 May 2010 13:44
To: Building Control - External email address
Subject: notifiable electrical work

What are Doncaster council's charges for notifying electrical work done by a DIYer?

If I remember correctly there were two charges on the website last year (minor and major works), but I looked today and there appears to be a revised price list, with only competent persons notification charges of £30.

And how would I go about notifying such work?

Thanks
Steve

The reply I recieved was:

Sent: 19 May 2010 14:27:47
To: Steven
Hi Steve,
There are now only 2 ways to have the work installed and tested, these are as follows : -
1. A company who is Part P registered such as NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA to install & test the work which therefore would not require a BC application but go through one of the scheme's registrations.
2. A person who is on our list of required qualified electricians to install & test the work and would need to complete a BC application.
The reason is that we do not inspect the work any more and that is why the charges have been amended.
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.
I hope this helps
Best regards
Stuart

:eek: :eek: :eek: Am I missing something, or is that in total contravention of Approved document P?

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember they have gone the other way in Sheffield. When I looked last year you had to pay the LABC to notify, then pay them again to get them to send a spark out to test your installation and issue an EIC. They would finally issue a completion certificate.

But it now says "Where the electrical work is to be carried out by a Registered Electrician who is not registered as a Competent Person but is qualified to sign a BS7671 Certificate, the charge will be £80.00 +VAT."

Surely if you're not competent, you should be doing the work in the first place? I think they must mean "...carried out by a competent person who is not a registered electrician..."?

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/plannin...itting-application/building-standards-charges

Sponsored Links
I await, with interest.

Also must check if Part P is one of the things that Nick Clegg has been tearing up (some hope)!

Part P is mentioned in "The Great Repeal Act" see para xlxiii here http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Great_Repeal_Bill[/QUOTE]

Interesting, although if the Wikipedia article is more or less verbatim then it would seem the spin doctors have been at work again:

wikipedia said:
These sections make it convoluted or near-impossible for a homeowner to easily do even the most basic electrical DIY without consulting the council - replacing a plug or an electrical switch

Go on then how do I proceed with this? Not being fond of confrontation, I'm nervous about saying the wrong thing!

I can quote the relevant part of the building regs, where it states that LABCs have to inspect DIY work without extra charge, and ask why they think it doesn't apply to DMBC's LABC.

Or should I forward this reply to someone else? Someone higher? Since DMBC seem to have removed all possibility of notifying DIY electrical work.

Or should I tell them I'm doing some notifiable work, and shall proceed, having notified them of the work 48 hours before I start via email, and await instructions for payment and booking I&T appointments at first and second fix, as is their legal responsibility, not mine. . . . I dont want to get into a long exchange of views.

One of the forum regulars has offered his I&T services for me (you might know him electronicsuk), and I could then submit his cert to the council for the £30 fee they quote for non-registered sparks. This might be overall less hassle.

Though I know its the principle. So frustrating that LABCs dont play ball.

I can quote the relevant part of the building regs, where it states that LABCs have to inspect DIY work without extra charge, and ask why they think it doesn't apply to DMBC's LABC.

Or should I forward this reply to someone else? Someone higher? Since DMBC seem to have removed all possibility of notifying DIY electrical work.

It would seem unfair to take it further without first giving them a chance to explain why they feel that they don't need to comply with the recommendations within approved document P.

Or should I tell them I'm doing some notifiable work, and shall proceed, having notified them of the work 48 hours before I start via email, and await instructions for payment and booking I&T appointments at first and second fix, as is their legal responsibility, not mine. . . . I dont want to get into a long exchange of views.

And then face the wrath of B.C.? If you want to go down that route then, dare I say it, you'd be better off doing the work and not notifying at all.

One of the forum regulars has offered his I&T services for me (you might know him electronicsuk), and I could then submit his cert to the council for the £30 fee they quote for non-registered sparks. This might be overall less hassle.

That's fine if you don't want any hassle. I just want to see someone finally stick it to these council busybodies.

Part P is mentioned in "The Great Repeal Bill" see para xlxiii here http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Great_Repeal_Bill[/QUOTE]
What a complete waste of space that is.

Any sensible proposals in there (and there are some) are tainted by the loony ones like "abolish income tax" and "abolish France".

As for Part P, it doesn't say much for the knowledge of the people writing that article when they say "These sections make it convoluted or near-impossible for a homeowner to easily do even the most basic electrical DIY without consulting the council - replacing a plug or an electrical switch" and then for "Current 'easy read' regulations" refer people to a website which includes:

"Most wiring jobs need to be tested by a suitably qualified person. This may be a professional electrician or your Electricity Company. If you do not know whether the work must be tested, speak to your local Electricity Board and ask them."

"board" :rolleyes:

I still hear people saying things like "we can collect your car, and after the service, deliver it back to the Electricity Board offices"

I have to admit to not checking it through thoroughly - I didn't even notice that the article wasn't part of Wikipedia, so it's content is pretty questionable.

wish my council had a "compentant persons" price.

still having conversations at the moment.

their price £120, you supply the certs, they "inspect" only hmmm....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back