Alternates to NICEIC for signing off work by self-builders etc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I do electrical work on my own properties rather than as a full time paid job, so my needs of signing off works and certifying are very low and infrequent. I was with NICEIC last year and don't even think I signed off a single job that year!

I've seen this discussed in many posts but times keep changing and companies get taken over, so for example NICEIC and NAPIT appear to share the same address and I think they must have merged, and Stroma seem to have gone away from the schemes. I think there used to be a "Just-7" type scheme from Napit several years ago where my low level of work would be covered. Who else is there?

The qualifications I have are basic (2382 17th & 18th, and 2395) and the demands of qualifications now seems a lot higher from NICEIC as an example. I'll probably get shot down by fully qualified fulltime electricians if I'm expecting to just sneak in with the basics, but I wondered if anyone had advice or was in a similar position as to what company would be best nowadays for limited work (i.e. self build people etc)???
p.s. Buildings Regs say it could be done through them but wouldn't be a full EIC as the inspector won't be able to see in full all the cabling installation/routes, and also it would be carried out by a 3rd party electrician anyway.

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
The options for notifiable work are the same as they always were.
Either join NAPIT or NICEIC which will be around £500 per year
or notify each item direct to building control or a TP agent and pay whatever their fees are.

Buildings Regs say it could be done through them but wouldn't be a full EIC
The certificate for the electrical work is completed by the person doing the work - i.e. you. Notification is unrelated to certificates.

The NIC and Napit neither share the same address nor are they connected in any way. Storma in a teacup has been subsumed by Napit.

The NIC and the ECA remain the premier bodies.

I used the notify LABC method, and getting them to accept my qualifications was not easy. If they do accept them, then not so bad for a large job, the problem here in Wales is it starts at £2000 worth of work, so the fee is reasonable for a job just under £2000, but for a £50 job you pay more to register the work than the whole job costs.

Also when it came to sell the house, I looked at the paperwork, and it was impossible to tell which bit covered which job, as there is no cross reference between the EIC and the completion certificate.

Sponsored Links
I used the notify LABC method, and getting them to accept my qualifications was not easy.
You were presumably trying to achieve some sort of 'halfway house' - since, in general, there is no requirement for a person (e.g. a DIYer) notifying work to LABC to have any 'qualifications' at all.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for all your inputs guys. I was sure in my overheated mind that two companies were at Pleasley Mill and that confused me why two competitors would be right next door to each other! I’ve not heard of the ECA before but have just checked out their website, I couldn’t see entry requirements so I’ll give them a ring tomorrow.

Cheers, Dave

The ECA do not operate a competent persons scheme for building regulations notification.
Your options are NICEIC or NAPIT.
Entry requirements are the same for both.

If you are doing electrical work for self builders etc. then the way to do it is to discuss before they put in the building regs and make sure that somewhere is mention of "and associated electrical works". As long as that is done, there's no need to separately notify any electrical works which are associated with that BR application as it's included. I would imagine it won't cost a penny more to include those words - perhaps if someone has experience to the contrary they'll pipe up.
Then, DON'T ASK what BC want, just provide them with an EIC properly filled in, professional looking, and with plausible inspection/measurement results. My experience (in a different field) is that if you ask you get back the official line "must be a member of <trade body with no better reputation than NICEIC>", but if you simply provide a certificate (in my case, with a copy of my certificate from doing a course) then it'll be accepted.
Similarly, at my last house I put in a BR application to replace the CU (which I didn't actually get round to before we had the opportunity to move). The BC guy (who was actually very pleasant and helpful, I was also doing some minor possibly-structural work at the same time) asked about certification and when I said "I'll provide you with a certificate and test results" he just sort of mumbled "OK".
At the end of the day, unless there's something they could be expected to spot, then as long as they have a certificate that allows them to cover their backsides with "I have a certificate from X who said it was OK" then they'll be happy. YMMV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back