Got a building cert for loft conv. done in 2005.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone help.
We have a loft conversion done by previous owners. Building certificate granted 2005. This week we have been told by a couple of builders that the height at entrance isn't the required 2 metres.
There are also no doors to the loft. The stairs go from landing to loft slightly curved.

Have been to a solicitor to get advice on potentially suing the council and they have said very doubtful to get anywhere. I have spoken to a surveyor who backs this up (especially as i wouldn't qualify for legal aid.. why this makes a difference i don't know..)

Any idea how i can look at what the building regs would have been back then? I am looking at indemnity insurance but am worried what that will cover me for. I have paid a premium to buy a 4 bed house (3 years ago) and am worried that it would only legally be a 3 bed house with loft room for occasional use.

make sense??

thanks

Sponsored Links
the regs were exactly as you describe in 2005, however there has always been a discretionary easement on head height over a staircase, should design constraints not allow 2m.
There must be a door at either the bottom or top of the stairway (I am assuming there isn't a sprinkler system fitted) and this loft wouldn't have been signed off,are you sure the previous owners didn't modify it after the completion inspection.
I agree indemnity is probably a waste of time the loft is outside the limit for any retrospective enforcement.
ou have all the relevant documentation so I personally wouldn't worry

yes a completion certificate.

Would a sliding door have been allowed as a fire door?
There isn't enough landing space to get a door to open onto the landing. He may well have changed the staircase but no proof of anything at all!

We have windows out onto a flat roof which allow easy access in case of fire so didn't know if this had any bearing on fire issue. In the meantime i suppose best not to worry as have cert. I am also looking at buying radio sensor smoke alarms as now i have been highlighted to the fact of a fire issue I am panicking a little I fear!

thanks very much for your responses!

Sponsored Links
a sliding door probably wouldn't be sufficient as they don't seal properly, and the window wouldn't have been an alternative back in 2005 as it was a requirement to have an escape window as well as an enclosed stairway . Good idea with smokes , are there none at the moment,in 2005 it would have been mandatory to have one in the loft room, one on the top landing and one on the 1st floor landing.
While we are at it it was also part of the regs to have fire doors with self closers on all habitable rooms on the escape route out of the house.Are these fitted.

If you have a completion certificate then why does it matter to you for when you come to sell?

What height of 2m are you referring to - a door, ceiling, stair flight etc?

Stairs can be curved

Doors can be removed after completion

No i am not looking to sell but am now thinking i should.

this all started from having rats under the void in the lounge ground floor extension. From having builders come over and look they have discovered:

* damp proof course covered up so need to lower back garden by a few feet, remove decking, shedding etc to find the b*** rats
* the rats are coming in via a mini extension that has no planning, building regs, so no foundations, insulation etc.
* Extension roof needs replacing despite being under 5 years old
* loft room isn't compliant....
* oh and by the way you need a new flat roof.

So I look at the plans - the previous owners have completely moved 2 sets of stairs and made a landing into a bedroom.

So we have paid for a 4 bedroom house and have actually a 3 bedroom house with use of a loft room but actually couldn't be sold us such except to idiots like us.

Perhaps the previous owner got the sign off with some cheap doors in place and then removed them when they'd got the sign off.

How far off 2 metres is it?

Gary

you come up to the loft and it is at an apex so a door wouldn't fit here so it must have been at the bottom but it can't have been where the stairs lead to now as the landing is too narrow for a door to open and the stairs jut out slightly. We think the original stairs went through what is now a bedroom.

I have spoken with neighbours who can't or won't shed any light. All very confusing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back