got to build a chicken run - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am pretty handy and so my friend's wife has asked me to build them a chicken run. She says the chickens will live in the shed but she wants a run built to the full height of the shed for them so I have loads of questions, ie,

Can you use treated timber i.e. is it ok for the chickens?

What size timber do you think I would need?

What mesh should I use, I know there is chicken wire but isn't that a bit weak and flimsy and maybe too easy for foxes to bite through?

Should it have a floor or is it better that they can go on the ground (my friends are beginners with chickens by the way so don't say ask them)?

Should it have a mesh roof or a waterproof roof, I know what I would pick but wondered if there was reasons that it should be one or the other?

How should I fix it to the ground, what's the best way?

Any help/tips appreciated.

Sponsored Links
full height is extravagent realy as they cant fly [assuming they have there wings clipped

use 3x1 treated and normal chicken wire 4ft high with a top should be high enough
dont cover the ground as they love scratching maybe stepping stones
realy depends on size any bigger than around 8ftx12ft you need to scale up the timbers

use heavier gauge wire around the bottom 2ft going 6 inches into the ground

At least six foot high with barbed wire at the top as a fox will get over it.

full height is extravagent realy as they cant fly [assuming they have there wings clipped

I think they are having it full height so that they can walk in and sort everything out each time without crouching etc.

Sponsored Links
what you do is have a hinged roof section where access is required that hinges back out the way for access

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back