Government small business help - very impressed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, around mid-March Covid 19 was starting to affect our business. Students not attending for fear of catching it and not long after most schools closed. I half expected it but wasn’t immediately concerned - we have some savings to fall back on in case things go tits up. I didn’t really expect students to return until the new term in September at the earliest. Anyway, not long after I saw that, the Government were pledging to help small businesses and one of the measures was a grant to those that operated from premises that were in receipt of small business rates relief. We fitted into that bracket, I applied and we received our grant a week or so later. Then, the other week, my accountant sent out notice that we could apply to furlough myself and my wife and as they run our payroll, they just needed to know when we stopped working. Today, our furlough money went into our account direct from the HMRC. I must say that I am very relieved, not to say impressed with the ease and speed at which these grants have been paid. So there you have it - some rare positive praise for the government on this forum for something they have promised to small businesses and delivered! Personally though, I’d rather the country not be in the situation it is in that has brought this business help about.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I like many SE won't get a penny till June. Yeah rapid - not. Luckily I have savings and I'm part time working, but many will be on their arse by then.

Not impressed at all.(n)

I like many SE won't get a penny till June. Yeah rapid - not. Luckily I have savings and I'm part time working, but many will be on their arse by then.

Not impressed at all.(n)
Didn’t think you could work part time and still be furloughed.

Sponsored Links

Not impressed at all.(n)
Same here, all seems like an afterthought to me

Same here, all seems like an afterthought to me

It was an afterthought, they thought about it immediately after being hit by a global pandemic.

That doesn’t seem too bad then - seems like a bonus - I'd be impressed with that.

I haven't worked since the day of lockdown, I might do a few outside small jobs next week but most of my work tends to be indoors and people don't tend to want you in their house at the moment (fair enough), another customer wants me to do some plastering while distancing but I cant get hold of plaster at the moment. Paint is another bugger to get hold of,
I know a few plumbers who are still working more or less full time and of course they do still get the 80% in June which is very generous if you're still working. For me that 80% will be very helpful and my wife is over the moon because I'm doing some big projects at home for which there just wasn't time before.

Make no mistake though, tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people have fallen through the net in the current arrangements and I hope more is done to ease any hardship there.:(

It was an afterthought, they thought about it immediately after being hit by a global pandemic.

I haven't worked since the day of lockdown, I might do a few outside small jobs next week but most of my work tends to be indoors and people don't tend to want you in their house at the moment (fair enough), another customer wants me to do some plastering while distancing but I cant get hold of plaster at the moment. Paint is another bugger to get hold of,
I know a few plumbers who are still working more or less full time and of course they do still get the 80% in June which is very generous if you're still working. For me that 80% will be very helpful and my wife is over the moon because I'm doing some big projects at home for which there just wasn't time before.

Make no mistake though, tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people have fallen through the net in the current arrangements and I hope more is done to ease any hardship there.:(
The help for S/E came a while after the furlough was announced, the silence was deafening

Not impressed at all.(n)
Same here.sweet FA until at least June..Luckily,other half working,low overheads..etc..If this was 5 years ago i would be knackered now.

Funny how some on here describe all the unemployed as scroungers and benefit cheats saying there are no circumstances in which you can't work. Well this proved you wrong, sympathies to all who are unable to work at this time, fortunately I can shirk from home, so still getting paid.

Funny how some on here describe all the unemployed as scroungers and benefit cheats saying there are no circumstances in which you can't work. Well this proved you wrong, sympathies to all who are unable to work at this time, fortunately I can shirk from home, so still getting paid.
Some are scroungers Eddie,not all,and I do not see how the currrent situation proves anything.The scroungers are still at home receiving benefits,only they will be bumping the rent now,so will be quids in.

Some are scroungers Eddie,not all,and I do not see how the currrent situation proves anything.The scroungers are still at home receiving benefits,only they will be bumping the rent now,so will be quids in.

I know, but some on here, not you, have stated they couldn't see any circumstances in which someone couldn't do some work.

Why is it the Boris despising Commies do not trust the govt to be able to count gloves accurately,yet trust them to produce accurate figures for illegal immigrants,a bit more tricky than counting gloves I suspect!!!!

Sponsored Links
Back