Government study (2012) on turning down room temperature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is interesting but a bit beyond me, so I would appreciate anyone’s insight. When googling info on heat loss for the other thread, I came across this link to a government study from 2012, which covers the energy savings from turning the room temperature down by 1 degree, from 19C to 18C.

I think it is saying that, on the basis of a heat loss calculation (using the difference between inside and outside temperature), the saving would be expected to be 8%. But they say other factors mean there is a multiplier of about 3:2, so that the actual saving is about 50% more than that. Which means a saving of 13% from turning down by 1 degree, which was a lot more than I had ever anticipated. That bit is on page 9. Then on page 26 they give more details. The rest of the report is way beyond me, particularly the statistical stuff.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...energy-could-be-saved-by-making-small-cha.pdf

The change to thermostat setting reduced the mean temperature difference between external and internal temperatures by 8%. Heating system efficiencies and other factors imply that heating energy varies by a factor of about 3:2 to temperature difference. Taking these two facts together, a 13% saving sounds reasonable.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back