Grand Designs Eco House

Kes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I like the arch, and I hope I'm not too resitant to new ideas. I would prefer something less experimental, but... how on earth did he arrive at the figure of selling £1800 a year excess energy back to the grid? That's heat and light the house, and have the equivalent of £1800 to spare? I'm off to fit solar panels. How many acres do you think I need?

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-t...-of-kent-eco-arch-the-story-09-02-18_p_1.html

Sponsored Links
I just loved those arched stairs. Wish I'd been the SE on that - wouldn't have had a clue how to justify it though, would have meant getting the dusty old tomes out for that one!

Was surprised that they started putting the gravel and soil on from the top though...

Yes, the arched stairs. Many teenagers (and even myself a few years ago) leap down the stairs two at a time with great thuds. I hope the inflexible arch stands up to it.

As for the big arch, after the collaspse of part of it during construction I would feel a little nervous pouring tons of gravel and earth on to it, and even more so being under it.

It only collapsed when it was a single layer and someone leant on it. Once an arch is loaded, it's inherently more stable, providing that the lines of force don't move outside the arch itself. Also, providing that the loading is applied equally, of course and that it's restrainted at the springing point.

The stairs puzzled me a bit, as they are effectively a half arch. The top section must be restrained by the floor structure in some way.

Sponsored Links
I would have put some stainless steel mesh in between the mid layers of that arch, otherwise i just wouldn't sleep.

Cool house though, better than the Castle last week.

Really liked last night's effort. Possibly one of the best 'Grand Designs' i've seen, although i'd probably be happier with the arch if i hadn't seen it being constructed and seen the collapse. I'm sure an SE somewhere has checked it works tho so i'd be happy with that :confused:

Why are the women on this program always pregnant?? I'd of thought someone planning a self build wouldn't have time for making babies?? (says me who started a DIY loft conversion with a 6month pregnant wife!)

Why are the women on this program always pregnant?? I'd of thought someone planning a self build wouldn't have time for making babies?? (says me who started a DIY loft conversion with a 6month pregnant wife!)
I thought that last week :LOL:

It must be relieving all that stress of project managing, taking its toll in the bedroom . . . ;)

I wasn't keen on the design. Thought the objective was to make an 0 emmision (Eco)house.
It could have been achieved more cheaply and with less experimental rubbish thrown in. Using to too much natural materials create high maintenance costs 20+ years later. (the wood work, moisture ingress)

Surely a complete bubble would have been better for the energy point of view.

Was surprised that they started putting the gravel and soil on from the top though...

why?

surely 'tis better to get some downward thrust before imparting any sideways thrust. the added weight from above will only serve to strengthen the lower more vertical elements of the arch.

or is this a wind-up?:cool:

No...remember the tesco carpark being built over a railway line a few years ago?

That's the one. Running plant etc over the top of the arch, without restraining the bottom, from memory.

Sponsored Links
Back