Grandee 15/22 Wall mounted Oil boiler, smoking from electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Here's one for you. Called to the above boiler, wasn't firing. On inspection, the reset button was lit, so reset it. Fan then cut out. Took cover off, water seemed to be coming from the baffle cover, looked above it and spotted that the Auto air vent was open so close it. Dried the water up. Customer then tells me that the trouble all started when the bathroom light tripped. Looked at the electrics - the large rectangle condesate trap was leaking directly onto the 11 pin relay, there was also long term rusting noted on the control panel. Dried everything off. No oil coming through so stuck a new solenoid on, still nothing, new control box - bingo she lights.

Customer turned down the heating from the room stat, 11 pin relays smokes like a chimney, so I switched it off and removed the relay, pin 1 and the adjactent (not 2, the other side) are heavily charred. So I got a new one. Fitted it boiler lights - boiler does not switch off!!!!! So tried the control panel temp control, 11 pin relay starts to smoke!!

Whats going on? I cannot find any spares for this boiler at all the MI's are not good, the fault diagnosis is a joke, mentions part replacement but not what the part number. Please help, customer has two small kiddies and its getting colder. All ideas welcome.

Again, thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You have obviously not dried everything off. Change relay base, available from any reputable electrical wholesaler. Heating World are in birmingham and should be able to supply a wiring diagram if not one in the handbook.

You can probably get an 11 pin relay base at maplin to order.

I would say an easier repair compared with some very messy sooting problem.

Tony

No it was dry, I stripped it down, checked for insulation breakdown, remade all the connections. Spoke to the tech guys at Heating World, they no longer make that type of panel with the 11 pins relay (which by the way My Hub were selling for £70 but Farnells Electronics do it for £10!!!!). Anyway, tech guy reckons new control panel. Apparently the condensate trap is a component not in the normal condensate way of todays boilers but it makes the boiler condense.

Thanks again Oilhead I always value your posts.

Let you know what happens with new shiny part :D

Sponsored Links
When relay bases track, it is virtually impossible to dry them out. It will be interesting to see what they replace it with; no doubt a dreaded PCB!!
Haven't seen too many Heating World newer boilers, but what I have does not appear too clever with leaking water jackets. The Combis are very cluttered and a b*****d to work on especially when balancing on worktops or stepladders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back