Granite outdoor flags

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m about to lay some granite flags and wondered if I need to seal the tops before I start. Granite “generally” is non porous but I’m unsure how it reacts with sand & cement. I was planning on sealing them once they’re down anyway (as it’s easier) but wondered if I need to do that pre laying.

Sponsored Links
Make sure the sharp sand and cement laying course is not a wet mix and it won't be a problem anyway

I was going to lay them on 3 parts sharp, 1 builders & 1 cement with a slurry on the back. Is chucking in a bit of builders sand a problem?

That's too much cement, i did about 8 to 1 sharp sand to cement. But you could go up to 6 to 1 if you're worried.
If you add that much cement you'll need more water and with more water you're more likely to make a mess.
The builders sand i can't see why it's needed. It's more likely to shrink and it needs more cement, it's designed for when you need a fine mortar for bricklaying with consistent narrow joints.

Sponsored Links
Paving expert is a good site for information about laying pavingbtw

I would use about 7:1 with sharp sand and probably laid dry to pick up moisture and harden later.

Given the constituents of granite I would not expect it to reactive with any concrete mix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back