Grant Oil Combi Boiler - poor reliability

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents,

Paid a small fortune to have a Grant oil combi Boiler in February to replace my Potterton disaster and would you beleive it the thing has broken down again, its now on its third oil pump!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grant say its due to the reduction in sulphur in the fuel oil which apparently acts as a lubricant but they could be stringing me a line there given that I haven't heard or anybody elses boiler breaking down as a result of this.
Would be interested in any comments from those better informed about these matters.
Thanks

C

Sponsored Links
Yes. Grants are telling you the truth.

Riello have had pump problems for ages; and its not grants fault!

Im an oftec registered tradesman, and I have been back to several grant boilers and other manufacturers that have a riello oil pump on their burners.

Its slowly getting better as Riello have brought out a new up grade on their pumps but there are a lot out there that are still the older type. :oops:

I have had a tech sheet off a manufacturer regarding this problem
(cant remember which MI though) :oops:

Luckily had no problems yet :cool:

I supplied a Grant oil boiler to a customer in France a few months ago. When I contacted the tech support at Grant they said 'make sure he takes a couple of spare fuel pumps with him as they are not very reliable' :eek:

Sponsored Links
Ive a grant oil boiler with a Riello burner. Been running about 8 years now and no major problems.
The only part replaced so far is the capacitor.
Happy Days. :D

The people at Grant did tell me that there is now a new low sulphur pump, I do hope this cures the problem.

However from the customers point of view its all a bit of a shambles, having shelled out multiple £000's you would at least expect it to reach its first service without problems.

C

Just checked this on the Oftec forum.

It seems that the fault is mainly on the Riello burners :confused:

Even the newer version is still failing. :cry:
There are a few comments relating to poorly made pumps and that manufacturers are using the reduced sulphur content as an excuse :confused:

However from the customers point of view its all a bit of a shambles, having shelled out multiple £000's you would at least expect it to reach its first service without problems.

C

The proportion of money that the customer pays for a job, which is the factory cost of the boiler, is quite low. The burner cost is only a proportion of that. Since the installer gets the lions share, it would be better if THEY kept the customer happy and didn't throw it back to the boiler manufacturer.

Since you have a combi, you have a relatively inefficient boiler that will give trouble. That's what combies do :evil:

If there are problems with running burners, they get ironed out over the years until something in the system changes, then the process starts again. In this case a step change was made in the oil, which was not demanded by regulations, but suited the oil manufacturers. For DERV and aviation fuel additives can be used to ensure consistent performance. Additives are not permitted, or in any case, are not used in heating oil. Any additive needs to be thoroughly researched, so bunging a tin of gloop in the tank may make things worse, or better.

I know the pump situation has improved considerably, since I don't have many to change compared with last year.

The UK and Japan are the only countries that use C2 oil (kerosene). The same pumps that are a problem here, work anywhere else in the world (except Japan).

The proportion of money that the customer pays for a job, which is the factory cost of the boiler, is quite low. The burner cost is only a proportion of that. Since the installer gets the lions share, it would be better if THEY kept the customer happy and didn't throw it back to the boiler manufacturer.

Why should an installer have to subsidise a carp product from a manufacturer :eek:

Manufacturer's should get out from their ivory towers and supply/back up the customers with reliable products.

Why should an oil combi be unreliable? :confused: If one can't be made to be reliable then they should be withdrawn from sale.

Are oil boilers now becoming the equivalent of Microsoft? Ship out an inferior product, let the paying customers be the guinea pigs, then when it suits them, let the manufacturers put things right :rolleyes:

Poor installs not following MIs, poor and improper servicing. Nowt to do with oil or pumps.

Rubbish.

Reillo pumps in Grants and Worcesters (and some others) were dying like flies earlier in the year and the manufacturers admit they have got a problem, we have that in writing.

If you think that by running your oily talented fingers over your boiler installs you can stop the pump seizing, you are a delusionist.

Why should an installer have to subsidise a carp product from a manufacturer :eek:

I said nothing about subsidising. I said the installer who is the supplier, as far as the customer (and lthe law) is concerned, should be looking after the customer. Its the installers business to deal with their supplier or the manufacturer. It's a better way to get a good name, but if they don't care.....

Manufacturer's should get out from their ivory towers and supply/back up the customers with reliable products.

:rolleyes:

Why should an oil combi be unreliable? :confused: If one can't be made to be reliable then they should be withdrawn from sale.

They're put in more often than not because it suits the installer, not the customer. The customer is rarely told of the disadvantages, except by me.

Are oil boilers now becoming the equivalent of Microsoft? Ship out an inferior product, let the paying customers be the guinea pigs, then when it suits them, let the manufacturers put things right :rolleyes:

No doubt there have been problems with some of the work you have done over the years, why should everyone else have to be perfect?

Well, the plot thickens, just spoken to Butler fuels who have supplied my boilers for the last 10 years, apparently they don't and never have done low sulphur fuels, so it would seem that Grant haven't correctly identified the cause or at least they arn't telling the customer.

Butler may not supply "low sulphur fuel", but they don't get much of a choice since the fuel is manufactured and sold as class C2 heating oil. The sulphur has already been removed.

Grant have not done the investigating, this was done by Riello.

I see what you are saying however the way they described it was that I was getting the same 'environmentally unfriendly fuel' that I always have been.

I will try and get written confirmation of this........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back