1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Grant outdoor boiler randomly turning on

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Gwynston, 20 Sep 2020.

1. Gwynston

Gwynston

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Have an outdoor Grant Vortex Condensing oil boiler which is randomly turning on from time to time, burning for a minute or two and then switching off again.

I would be familiar with this behaviour sometimes in the winter if it's really cold as an automatic frost protection measure. But I don't know why it's doing it at this time of year when it's warm, outside of the scheduled operating times.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. tincup

tincup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Id start looking inside at the 2 port or 3 port zone valves, room stat and tank stat.
    HTH

4. Gwynston

Gwynston

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the reply - but unfortunately this doesn't mean muchto me - apologies for my ignorance!
    I wouldn't have thought the room stats or zone valves would have anything to do with it as I'm seeing this happening outside timer-on periods when the boiler shouldn't be active according to the control panel.
    Our stats are set high enough that the heating hasn't even come on for 6 months - it's only the hot water heating that should kick in on the timer for an hour in the morning and again in the evening.
    This just the boiler kicking in randomly by itself for a couple of minutes at inexplicable times....

5. Terrywookfit

Terrywookfit

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Your stats need to be set low to prevent firing .

6. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    which Vortex external ? there are a few, does it have a setting to pre heat the hW store whether HW is switched on or not ?

7. oilhead

oilhead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is it a Combi?

8. Sponsored Links