Grant vortex eco utility system 15-21 boiler, heat exchanger replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
our boiler is just over 2 1/2 years old and has started giving us a puddle to mop up each day in the garage.

I've had a plumber out who has said it's the heat exchanger, and the issue has been cause by 'pumping over the header tank which has oxygenated the water'. The plumber who first installed the boiler is no longer around so I can't exactly quiz him about how this has happened, so I have to look for the most cost effective solution.

Firstly, the system can be easily sorted to stop the air getting in, but realistically, what are the options for the boiler?

Could someone please offer some advise?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
First was boiler installed/commissioned by a registered Grant installer? If so it's got a 5 year warranty (tho Grant quite rightly may mump a bit)
We're Grant registered installer's so have been asked by Grant to sort this exact problem a couple of times.
Both times it's been a complete new boiler.
You can try ringing Grant and see what they say tho I would expect them to say just replace.
Your really very unfortunate, out of interest was system flushed before install?

First was boiler installed/commissioned by a registered Grant installer? If so it's got a 5 year warranty (tho Grant quite rightly may mump a bit)
We're Grant registered installer's so have been asked by Grant to sort this exact problem a couple of times.
Both times it's been a complete new boiler.
You can try ringing Grant and see what they say tho I would expect them to say just replace.
Your really very unfortunate, out of interest was system flushed before install?
Not installed by Grant registered installer, but the system was flushed before installation etc.

I contacted Grant earlier today and they weren't interested really as the 2 year warranty has lapsed.
Just can't believe I'm going to have to fork out for another boiler after such a short period of time. :(

Sponsored Links
System boiler pumping over? Unfortunately very easy
Oil 'installer ' round here used to convert to fully pumped by sticking a zone valve on heating and another on domestic return.
Left cold feed and expansion as it was for gravity. Apparently did not understand sealed system!
As you might expect we have pulled quite a number of leaking boilers out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back