Grant Vortex V3 outdoor Boiler Hot water issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Most of the time we have a problem with the hot water not being hot (or even warm). Boiler is 5 years old. Has a 12litre Expansion tank. I have water flow of mains turned down to help flow but to no avail. Heating appears to work fine and pressure appears to stay constant. Hot water sometimes doesn't come on at all and then all of a sudden will heat slightly. I have heard putting a larger expansion tank on may help. Any other suggestions / comments welcome.

Sponsored Links
Has it always been a poor performer?
Do you get a good flow of water through the tap?
Does the heat store get hot?
When the hot water is demanded, does the burner fire and the pump run?

Changing the expansion vessel will make no difference, and I am assuming you have the hot water timed to come on for a period before you want hot water. Remember, if you are used to a gas combi, an oil combi needs to have a hot store to provide hot water.

Actually it has always been pretty poor.
Good flow through tank.
Heat exchanger is hot to touch
Not sure if boiler kicked in every time.

You don't have the ability to turn on hot water, its Heated as its wanted allegedly.

There is no hot water at all now but the heating works fine.
I noticed today that the 3 way diverter valve ( or whatever it's called) is not adjusting ( will not turn up or down ).

There feels like hot water is at the inlet to the diverter from the heat exchanger but does not go passed it. Could this be the problem?

There is a separate DHW control circuit, which may be on a timer, or could be on permanently. If it is time controlled and you have not got it switched on, then the heatstore/slave tank will not be hot enough.
Maybe it's time to get in a competent engineer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back