Grass area at front of new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier this year we bought a 3 year old property, I understand that the roads and footpaths haven't been adopted by the council yet. They've only recently finished the last few houses on the project over the other side of the estate.

At the front of our property (and a number of others) the grass from our garden leads on to what I assume is a narrow footpath, divided with a bit of sunken / hidden concrete then it meets the kerb edge.

The issue is that the drainage is shocking on the soil and when it rains it stays wet forever, plus it's a narrower road so people tend to park on it- the upshot is a delivery van did it today got stuck and now it's a real mess. Not sure who the delivery was for and it was a plain van I've been told but I didn't have much hope of getting anything back anyway. Who's responsibility is this piece of land- I'm assuming the building firm? Are they realistically going to come and patch it up?
I don't understand why it isn't concrete like some of the other ones... don't want to have an eyesore out the front but at the same time I'm reluctant to patch it myself because it's not technically my land and it will probably just happen again. Any advice??

Sponsored Links
You need to check the plan in your deeds you got when you bought the property, there will be a red line identifying the boundary of your property and whether you own it and your deeds will specify who is responsible for its maintenance if it’s not you. Generally the LA only adopt the pavements (eventually) especially on new builds where they often make it a proviso of the planning permission that they only adopt the highway.

Thanks for the reply, yes the red boundary ends where the sunken concrete is so we certainly don't own it but I couldn't see any reference as to who was responsible for the upkeep of it in the deeds, maybe need to have another read.

If you don’t own it and have no obligation to maintain it then until the council adopt it it will be for the developer to maintain.

Sponsored Links
But if you don't want an eyesore outside the front of your house, then spend £10 and 30 minutes, and sort it out.

It may be that one of the plots on the development may own it.

My father purchased a plot from bovis a few years back. He has the front plot in his deeds, his neighbor does not even though the front face of the neighbors property is facing that land.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back