Grass seeds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bare patch in my lawn caused by the kids playing cricket. I was planning to seed but wanted to leave as late as possible as else it will get trampled again!

How late in the year can I leave this to ensure that the seeds properly take hold?

Sponsored Links
There's loads on this online and in gardening books, but the best time to lay new seed is in the early Autumn or Spring when temperatures are neither too cold nor hot. Best time in my opinion is in September when the ground can still be warm for germination and there tends to be enough moisture in the soil. These factors lead to good root growth over the Autumn which in turn ensures a strong and healthy lawn the year after.

Make sure you soak the ground first (as you would a plant rootball) and then put seeds down.

I usually re-seed in autumn and mix the seed with topsoil before spreading. This helps to hide a lot from the birds.

My biggest problem has been when the grass grows it can be a different shade to the existing grass. Not found a way around this yet. LOL

My biggest problem has been when the grass grows it can be a different shade to the existing grass. Not found a way around this yet. LOL

Overseeding with the same type and make.

People often re-seed their lawn annually and every year buy a different brand. There are hundreds of types of grass out there and I've identified 7 in mine! The trick is to overseed with the same brand. It may take a few years but the over-seeded grass will be spread out and take over to give a more uniform look and feel.

Sponsored Links
I can vouch for that. I used some box of seeds from Tesco's last year and this patch of grass stuck out like a sore thumb. A year on, its unnoticeable.
I should mention that I've applied two fertiliser treatments since then. I'm not sure of this greens everything in a certain shade and perhaps this helps achieve a uniform look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back