Grasslin Economy 7 timer not working?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I had a quick search but not found this specific problem. the timer for my hot water heater seems to be dead; the timer is ticking but none of the lights come on, so we have no hot water. I tried replacing the fuse in the main power switch. power to the timer seems to be supplied by a 240V to 12V bell transformer, could this have failed? just seems strange that there are no lights on the timer but it it still ticking.

Also I can't work out a way to override the timer, as all the power to the hot water heater itself seems to come through the timer unit! seems like there should be some way I could do this....

tnaks!

Sponsored Links
can we have pictures of the items you are talking about please.
I guess the "hot water heater" is an immersion heater?
How many heaters are in the tank?

EDIT also:
power to the timer seems to be supplied by a 240V to 12V bell transformer,
I don't think this can be the case, are you absolutely sure?

Last edited:
thanks for reply, I'm not currently at home so can't take a photo but the timer is this: http://www.alertelectrical.com/uploads/prod/7_870_e.jpg
Supply from transformer goes in at left, then two cables come out from the bottom of the timer and connect to the top and bottom sections of the heater.

The immersion heater is Ariston Classico STD 150, it was entirely replaced a few months ago and everything properly tested so hopefully it's not that.

The transformer that (I think) is supplying power to the timer is this (this photo I took myself): http://i.imgur.com/h34VQAh.jpg
so to the left on that picture is main power controlled by a switch, to the right is the timer.

The transformer in the pic is for the doorbell, nothing else
I am not familiar with the Grasslin product, but it will be the same as the Horstmann E7 timer. This has a permanent mains feed into it (probably marked "imersion heater" on your fuse board).
The timer in the product is set to syncronise with the Economy 7 off peak periods.
There is an internal battery to keep the time for a few hours if the power fails.

Check first there are no switches or MCBs turned off. Then check that there is power going into the timer back plate. You'll need a two-probe voltage tester or a multimeter to test for sure.
If that is all OK then the timer is probably knackered.

Sponsored Links
ha right i'm glad i asked then. there's nothing tripped in the fuse box (there is one marked "water heater" which must be it I guess)... guess it is looking likely that the timer needs replacing then, will check power as you say tho.

There is no fuse within the timer i guess?

Till I get it replaced is there any safe way to manually operate the hot water heater?

You need to check power to the timer first. A common fault is bad connections, plumbers aren't the best at that (suprising eh?) so it could be a connection at the switch, in the timer or elsewhere. I would check those first.
The only way to bypass the timer is to do this electrically, and you would need to be comfortable while messing with electrical things. I don't think there is an internal fuse. I guess the boost switch doesnt work at all?
Does the time advance on the timer?

the timer is ticking, everything else looks dead tho... no light, no boost. the clock is mechanical right? timer has been in for about 7 years working fine so probably near the end of its life....

Possibly, but you might buy a new one (£80) and find that is not the problem.
If your car will not go, do you get the engine replaced? No, you'll check the handbrake is off, that there is petrol in the tank. Easy stuff like that.

Check the supply first, anything else is like guessing the lottery numbers.

ok success! it was indeed the time gone, replaced it with a greenbrook one that was about £50 and hot water is back.

and thank you for letting me know that that transformer was just for the doorbell ha. if anyone needs a new doorbell transformer for cheap just message me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back