gravel drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking about having a gravel drive, what preparations do I need to make ? can I just put the stuff down, compact it & rake it ?? any suggestions or comments appreciated

thanks, mick

Sponsored Links
It will keep you busy at weekends, you'll be constant;y sweeping the gravel back onto the drive, as it tends to spread every where. The weeds like it too.

Sponsored Links
Ours was properly edged, but there not much you can do about car tyres picking up the gravel and leaving it on the road as you leave the drive.

Pea shingle are the biggest problem being too small so 3/4" stone would be better but not too deep.

Definately agree not to use pea shingle. My wife goes mad because I always bring it in the house in the treads of my shoe. Go for the bigger stuff. Weeds can still be a problem though in the areas that get no traffic. The high traffic areas are OK as the stones mince up the weeds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back