Gravel Drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i am new to this forum and by no means an expert in anything!!!

I plan to sort my drive out in four weeks time, the previous owner put a block paved drive down but we are plagued with weed growing through it. On further inspection it would appear there is very little in the way of foundation and the ground has dipped in many places.

I am looking to remove the bricks and lay a gravel drive, i plan to lay a weed matt on the soil followed by six inches of type 1 hardcore then compact it all down, with 2-3 inches of sized 10-18mm gravel to finish it up. Are my depths acceptable?

Also one last question has anyone used the hexagonal matting under the gravel? I have seen it on websites but i am unsure if it is needed?

I would be grateful fir any tips or advice as this is something i would like to do correct for a change.

Many thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
Weeds don't grow through drives they grow into drives.

A weed barrier will be useless beneath sub base.

What happens is the seeds fall into gaps and germinate in ares of little traffic including undisturbed gravel.

In order to have a weed free drive you either need to have a gap free drive, i.e. concrete, tarmac etc or you need to be pretty diligent with your weeding tactics.

Your sub base sounds fine by the way.

Dimples,

We have a gravel drive (20mm gravel), weed can be a problem, but just keep on top of them, the depth of our gravel is about 30-35mm which is ok to walk on but a pain to pull the wheely bin over :)

It does need raking every now and again as car wheels do form channels and displace the stones, apart from that its no problems.

Oh, one other plus side is that if your engine drips oil, it won't cause a perminant stain as you simply change the gravel until you've saved up enough moneu to get it fixed at the garage.

One of the main reasons to do the drive is that it is a squeeze to fit two cars on the drive. We have a 6 month baby and it is difficult to get her in and out without bashing doors.

There is a flowerbed between the path to the front door and the main area where our cars are parked, if i get rid of this border then we have more room to swing open the doors.

I have given myself 7 days to get the job finished. Only problem is where to put the skip as i will be digging down 8 inches, yellow lines out the front and i doubt the council will let me put a skip on the road. So it will have to go on the drive which is a pain in the Asre.

how much gravel should i look to put down on the top? Oh i forgot edging as well!

Sponsored Links
I'd relay the blocks, including the weed control fabric. (For your peace of mind, the cost is minimal)
150mm well compacted hardcore, if needed. Then your weed control fabric, then your blocks set in sand.

Then, if neccesary, a sprinkle of weed control each year, in the spring.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/blocks2.htm

The weed control fabric positioning is debatable, the above site suggests a geotex material under the harcore, this is to stop the hardcore mixing with the soil.
Whereas the Weed Control Fabric manufacturer will suggest the fabric goes above the hardcore.

After further investigation it would appear that there are two concrete runners under the block paving, should i leave them in situ or hire a break to get rid of them?

Sorry for all the questions!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back