gravel driveway please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help. I have recently prepared an 18ft x 11ft area on my front lawn for a drive way and dug down about 6 to 7 inches deep and supported the edges around the area with edging stones ready for the 20mm gravel.
The 3 tonnes of gravel arrived and have spread over the area and tamped down. I drove car on and 3/4 on my car nosed dived into it :cry: .
After getting car out we hired and compacting machine again and spent five hours flattening it car hasn't sunk only made grooves in gravel. would it be advise able to get bags of ready mixed sand and cement and spread all over the gravel for keeping it all in place and stop the sinking of car when driven on :confused: sorry for long story

Sponsored Links
You really need a solid base underneath to support the gravel stones on top as you can't really put gravel stone on mud as it will keep sinking.

Driveway.jpg

It might be cheaper to buy the scalping stone from the quarry

many thanks for you reply. we did not realise that as we have a lot of clay in garden and thought it would be sturdy enough to take just gravel. drainage is not good here so thought that would help with a large soak away underneath to.

if you have used something like pea shingle it will not hold together when you drive over it.

It is possible to mix gravel for this kind of job with coarse sandy grit to fill in the interstices and a small amount of clay to bind it. I was told the stuff is called hoggin.

Can't see why you wouldn't be able to mix it yourself if someone knows the correct proportions.

Sponsored Links
thanks john d
appreciate your comments i have not used pea shingle on the drive, i used 20mm+ gravel which we thought would be enough. will give your idea a try when weather improves a bit here.

I used gardening/ driveway fabric under the gravel , it helps stop weeds rooting and the water still drains away, don't use polyethelene sheet as that will hold water. It still took a few days for the gravel to compact, drive slowly. regards

The gravel should only be a topping over a compacted base: if you've filled the whole excavation with gravel, no wonder you've sunk into it, because, as JohnD says, the regular sizing stops it compacting together like well-graded material would.

Take the gravel out, put some Type 2 crushed concrete in and whack that down to about an inch or so below the level that you want, then put an inch to an inch and a half of gravel over the top of that. You won't sink in that.

what you've made is a "gravel-trap" what they use to stop 200mph formula 1 cars ! let alone your run-around !

2616862446_f33c3c43db.jpg

As above, you need a solid base and just an inch or so of gravel. Not recommended but years ago I had the knock on the door "excuse me sir, we've been working in the area and have some materials left over - so we have, to be sure" (get the picture ;) )

Well, the £250 they quoted me was worth them just removing the 7' high and 18' wide hedge across the front of the garden and the 30' along the path way... and the rose bushes and turf ! Told them no money until it was finished !!! Well, they dug out and layed a good foundation (broken old road) which they tamped down and rolled..... then a good shingle covering. Never had a problem with it even with big american cars parked on it - a little weeding here and there and a rare shingle top-up and rake-over now and then....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back