Creating Gravel Driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am creating a gravel (12mm) driveway at the front of the house to park my car on. I have already excavated all the lawn and i am currently left with an area of soil. I am unsure as to the next process. I have already bought heavy duty landscape fabric to go under the gravel to stop the weeds coming through. However, i am worried of creating hollow (groove) areas where the car drives over. Do i put something between the fabric and soil? Do i use a whacker to condense the soil? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

I'm sure an expert will come on and give you some full advice here.

I would guess that you need to dig deeper and put a good layer of scalpings or sand underneath the gravel. Without this you will end up with problems such as the one you mentioned.

lay 150mm m.o.t. type 1.

compact well, with a vibrating roller or compactor plate.

lay fabric weed barrier.

lay a maximum of 50mm decorative aggregate.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. Looks like i will be ordering 150mm m.o.t. type 1, then using a compactor plate. I'll be busy this weekend then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back