Gravel on outside walls and wet wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Recently I have done my new driveway from a friend like builder. He advised me to put gravel next to the outside walls (instead of putting a drain). Another plumber friend has seen the work and he says that the driveway paver should really have put a drain next to the walls instead of putting gravel.

What do you think? Is gravel OK?

Also I noticed that during winter/rainy days, part of my outside wall remains wet.

Is this cause for concern?

I do get white patches on my external wall as well.

thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1535.JPG
    IMG_1535.JPG
    414.3 KB · Views: 214
Sponsored Links
looks like water is running back down through the gaps in the cill.
Where is the dpc in the external leaf? If the ground is close to it then it could be splashback soaking in. If it's drying out in the end things should be ok, if it' staying wet too long, the actions of frost can be an issue. You'd notice bricks crumbing then, or mortar falling out after winter.

That damp must have already been there and unrelated to the drive work.

If that is the DPC half way up that wall then you have a blocked cavity going by the pattern

And the white staining indicates a cill problem

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back