Gravel type for garden prep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

I am needing to flag or astro turf my garden, so its weedy at moment so gonna lay a bed of gravel (undercore?) and flatten in prep for whats next, at least it will look better for now and keep the weeds away, I also want the same gravel undercore to be able to fill in parts of my drive which has some bad mucky hole bits...so need the ton bag I order to do both jobs...can you advise what best gravel undercore I need to ask for to do these jobs?
thx

Sponsored Links
Your standard would be MoT Typ1, available from any of the big sheds. If you're going to then lay flags, you'll need a bed of sharp sand on top of that before your flags. A whacker plate is essential too if you're too avoid sinkage later on, especially if you're trying to flatten and uneven surface. Ideally you want to fill holes with the subgrade (soil) to a reasonable level and not rely on the hardcore to fill in large variations.

As for astro prep, I have no idea. Personally I hate the stuff. But I'd not think you'd want to lay that on top pf gravel as it will be rock hard.

Google "gravel near me" Plenty of firms out there with recycled MOT in different grades. Decide what you want first. If flagging a very slight slope away from the house be better for rain to run off. Astro turf looks lovely but needs nearly as much care as a lawn. Don't get astro turf if you have dogs or overhanging trees into your garden. Cheap astro turf holds the smell from dog pee and the crap from tree debris makes a mess of it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back