Gravity Fed Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

For some reason I cant get the only two rads downstairs to heat up. They used to at one point. Ive bleed the rads for ages only a bit of air came out.

Today I replaced one of the downstairs rads, and flushed the system out. But I cant locate a bleed point in the system. Surely there should be one some where?

The system is:

A coal fire back boiler, with a pump upstairs and a immersion tank.

The pump is working from what I can tell, feel vibrating and the pipe into and out of is hot.

The two rads upstairs are hot but not the downstairs two? Is there a way of bleeding the system on the return side?

Thanks in advance,

Gareth

Sponsored Links
Kev is right, it will push heat to your remaining rads but your system requires balancing properly.

Cheers lads.

Forgive me for being a little bit thick here, only really understand the electrical side of it but, drained the system today when changing the rad. Header tank totally empty, drained the flow and return side as I changed the rad valves.

From how I understand it, when refilling have the rad bleed valve open, close it when water dribbles out with no air, But how do you bleed the return side of the system? I know when ive done my own house before with a combi the boiler vents the air out for you, or my mums old gravity system there were two bleed pipes sticking up in the loft for the heating.

This is my mates house by the way. He's having a new heating system next year, combi system.

If I open the drain on the rad valve downstairs, hot water does com through, as soon as you close it, nothing.

Good experience this :)

Cheers for the help,

Gareth

Sponsored Links
Yeah I did that and water dribbled out straight away.

Will get him to get a plumber round, be handy to know what the exact problem is, hate not being able to work something out. And bet its something simply.

Cheers mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back