Gravity fed or Pumped?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of replacing my HW & CH programmer. The current Siemens RBW9 unit has the dip switch (5) set as gravity fed. However, I have a grundfoss pump and what I believe to be a Y-plan system with a three way valve, hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard with a cold water tank and small expansion tank in the loft. Please could someone confirm if it is fully pumped as I suspect and if so the difference in terms of operation with it having been set to gravity please? Photos below of the airing cupboard arrangement in case it helps.
52B4C2F7-3DEF-42CE-A700-B108D80AE30C.jpeg

Attachments

• B515CC42-A6DC-4244-A7BD-2062DE2D3232.jpeg
    B515CC42-A6DC-4244-A7BD-2062DE2D3232.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 39
  • B915CCB0-A68E-4C3A-BEBC-90AA858C123E.jpeg
    B915CCB0-A68E-4C3A-BEBC-90AA858C123E.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
It's fully pumped.

The difference is that with it set to Gravity, you can't have heating only - heating must be used with hot water all the time. Gravity is applicable to old floor standing boilers which have 4 pipes, 2 for the hot water where circulation is due to convection only, and 2 more for the radiators which are usually pumped. Such systems are inefficient and should all have been replaced long ago.

If it's been set to Gravity, it's fairly likely the wiring is incorrect, as it may have been set that way to cover up some other problem.

It's fully pumped.

The difference is that with it set to Gravity, you can't have heating only - heating must be used with hot water all the time. Gravity is applicable to old floor standing boilers which have 4 pipes, 2 for the hot water where circulation is due to convection only, and 2 more for the radiators which are usually pumped. Such systems are inefficient and should all have been replaced long ago.

If it's been set to Gravity, it's fairly likely the wiring is incorrect, as it may have been set that way to cover up some other problem.
Thanks for the reply and explanation. Is there any way I can check if it will work fine set to pumped? The house was built in 2005 and originally had a Worcester Bosch 19/24cbi, I have recently had this changed for a heat only Viessmann 100-W.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply and explanation. Is there any way I can check if it will work fine set to pumped? The house was built in 2005 and originally had a Worcester Bosch 19/24cbi, I have recently had this changed for a heat only Viessmann 100-W.
You can probably check it by leaving the dipswitch at gravity, ensure the cylinder (stat) is calling for hot water then with CH only selected and roomstat calling/boiler running see if the cylinder zone vale is open, if it is, change the dipswitch to pumped and see if it now closes.

just set it to fully pumped and select heating only if the boiler fires then its fine

Is there a wire connected to terminal 1 at the programmer? If there is then it should work set to fully pumped.
Thanks. Yes, there is. The only one without a wire connected is terminal 2.
Here is what it looks like to confirm as well as the wiring diagram from the RBW9 programmer.

Attachments

• F7F2F2D6-2F4C-4BF6-BFBF-01F9EFD9D716.jpeg
    F7F2F2D6-2F4C-4BF6-BFBF-01F9EFD9D716.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 2AA884F5-6D26-4D1D-9C00-68CD60A85D01.jpeg
    2AA884F5-6D26-4D1D-9C00-68CD60A85D01.jpeg
    365.1 KB · Views: 46
You can probably check it by leaving the dipswitch at gravity, ensure the cylinder (stat) is calling for hot water then with CH only selected and roomstat calling/boiler running see if the cylinder zone vale is open, if it is, change the dipswitch to pumped and see if it now closes.
Thanks for the comprehensive way to test. I’ll try it first and confirm using this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back