Greasing / Lifting Iron Gate.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an iron gate that has become hard to open/close, so it needs greasing. I thought I'd be able to apply lithium grease and that'd be it. But I find it hard to apply the grease.
The gate is hung at two places, the top is a standing pin with a round hole in the top of the gate fitting over it, which is easy enough to grease. The bottom bit has a large pin standing vertically with a hole in the gate having been slid over it. It appears that most of the friction comes from this bottom part. The gate needs a lot of force to open/close it.

I thought I'd use a lever and beam to just lift the gate, apply lithium grease and maybe clean off some rust and re-mount it. But the gate won't budge/rise. I applied a lot of force on a 6 foot beam levered very close to the hinge and the gate did not rise. The top hinge became looser though.

I am concerned that the bottom hinge may not just be a straight pin, but anchor the gate somehow? Is that realistic? Is it best to just keep trying to lift the gate? It just looks like a hole/shaft slid over a pin. Maybe use a hoist and tripod to pull+ a lever to push?
I see no holes to apply grease, so if I cannot lift the gate the only hope would be to use pressure to squeeze the grease in and keep moving the gate, apply more grease, move the gate etc. or is there a better way?

IMG_20181101_130354.jpg

above the bottom hinge.
Below the easy top hinge, that should be easy enough to apply grease.
IMG_20181101_130401.jpg

Thanks for your time, expertise and help.
B.

Sponsored Links
looks to me like all the weight is on the bottom pin, which sits in a small socket?
possibly rusted, causing the stiffness?

50-50% acetone and atf is supposed to be very good at un seizing stuff.

Maybe use some boiling oil ( use a tin dish and a hot air gun outside) poured in will help?
Thermal shock plus runny oil gets into small gaps

wear ppe

Thanks Tigercubrider.
I think you are probably right about the weight/pin.
Since there is no hole, I am struggling to think how to pour? The gap at the bottom is small. Since I can move the gate forcefully, I should be able to lift it?

Sponsored Links
Even 3 in 1 oil to start with to free it off.

A good thick oil to finish (Silkolene hypoid boa 90 is a good long lasting lube).

Drill and tap the ground socket for a grease nipple. Pump in grease. Job done.

I'd be tempted to persuade it upward with a car jack! (after a good soak in something, as has been suggested)

As close as possible to the hinge, or it will cause a bending moment, rather than just up.

Drill and tap the ground socket for a grease nipple. Pump in grease. Job done.
Thanks for your tip. I think that is only possible after I lift the gate. Or is it possible to do it as is? For one, I do not know exactly how long the pin is. Would I need to drill under an angle of 10% to prevent water getting in?
Come to think of it: "ground socket"? Do you mean there is a way to do something to the bottom part with the pin sticking up? Or would I need to drill a hole in the top part (so I could pour/squirt grease in and move the gate)? How to prevent water getting in? Will it not weaken the structure?

Swing the gate to and fro after drenching the two swivels top and bottom with WD40 or whatever......you can then try jacking it up a bit to eventually remove it.
If you want to add a grease nipple or two, remove the gate, drill a 5mm hole in the middle of the swivelling part and then tap 6mm to allow a 6mm grease nipple to be screwed in.
No need to drill at an angle, the grease nipples automatically seal. It won't weaken anything.
John :)

A worn pin and ring can make it difficult to lift the gate due to a notch being created in the pin.

0x36.jpg

Lifting the far end of the gate ( furthest from the hinge ) will ( should ) move the ring out of the notch and allow the gate to be lifted.

Thanks for your tip. I think that is only possible after I lift the gate. Or is it possible to do it as is? For one, I do not know exactly how long the pin is. Would I need to drill under an angle of 10% to prevent water getting in?
Come to think of it: "ground socket"? Do you mean there is a way to do something to the bottom part with the pin sticking up? Or would I need to drill a hole in the top part (so I could pour/squirt grease in and move the gate)? How to prevent water getting in? Will it not weaken the structure?
I would drill with the gate in situ,it doesn't matter if you penetrate the pin. Drill horizontal hole and fit nipple as described above. I would use a standard copper grease and keep pumping until it exits the top face. I have to grease my mini twice a year and the pressure achieved by grease guns is impressive. So long as you keep it topped-up water will never enter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back