Greasing Road wheel bolts.

do manufacturers ever put grease or copaslip on anything?.
Do i really need to give you a list of greased and oiled areas on cars....... :confused: :confused:

I bet you've tried to undo seized old nuts and bolts.
As an engineer and toolmaker of 40 years plus experience, what do you think..... :unsure:

Car makers spend millions of pounds on developing cars. Do you not think they would like to make life easier for their buyers, as regards wheel changing...... :?:

Sponsored Links
Either thay can't be bothered or they dont think the vehicles are going to last until the threads seize. I always dip mine in waxoil which pretty well guarantees that they will come undone next time you need to replace that particular part.

Peter

Either thay can't be bothered or they dont think the vehicles are going to last until the threads seize. I always dip mine in waxoil which pretty well guarantees that they will come undone next time you need to replace that particular part.Peter

Their is no sensible reply to this post.

Do you not think they would like to make life easier for their buyers, as regards wheel changing...... :?:
Well no, actually I think they like to make life easy as regards building the things. I've never seen any evidence that car makers care how difficult it will be to undo a seized nut on a car that's five years old or more.

I wonder if anybody has ever seen a wheel fall off because wheel nuts, that were properly tightened, had grease on the threads?

Sponsored Links
No manufacturer ever uses any Grease/Coppaslip on wheel bolts/nuts.
They are designed to be torqued up clean and dry.

They don't need to. When they assemble them, they're all clean, shiny, and bright zinc plated! There are lots of things that the car manufacturer "doesn't do" when he builds the cars - that doesn't mean it's a bad idea not to, it just means he doesn't need to at the time! The car industry is hugely competitive, and the cars are built down to a price. We have far too much car manufacturing capacity in Europe, and they're all cutting their margins to the bone to stay alive. If it's not essential, they won't do it.

Of course, by the time us practical chaps get our paws on them, much of the initial corrosion protection has gone and we need to do something else instead.

Back