Greedy middle class pensioners

Return on investment isn't about money being invested per se (as in in banks or investment funds). It's about the money spent in the short term in order to provide a more in control future state that costs less.
I agree, but my point was still valid.

Sponsored Links
Just to add to the discussion. The state pension is,in ROI financial terms , very generous.

If the pension contribution had been invested in the stock market ( long term returns from FTSE 100 or global markets, forget which was quoted ) the returns would only be around 40% of the current pension.

People are also talking about free bus-passes. I thought they had been cancelled ?

Return on investment isn't about money being invested per se (as in in banks or investment funds). It's about the money spent in the short term in order to provide a more in control future state that costs less.
I agree, but my point was still valid.

But surely if they spent money up-front in improving the system and processes (including means testing) then the money saved (the ROI) in the long term is then used to pay the pensions of those drawing and the contributions of the working can then be invested, as you point out, for future use.
Invested? What am I saying? Investments mean squat these days.

contributions of the working can then be invested, as you point out, for future use.

But there is no investment. No government revenues are ring-fenced for use, so by definition you can have no investment of pension funds. Pay-outs are decided fairly arbitrarily and it is left to future administartions to sort things out as is happening all over Europe currently.

If there were a defined pot of money then the state-pension would be identical to defined-contribution company schemes whereas it is a defined-contribution AND defined-benefit-scheeme combined.

Sponsored Links
Pensions in Oz are means tested. They will be here soon.

They are going to have to let old people die - that's for sure.

They let them freeze to death as it is.

Sponsored Links
Back