Green Ooze on Gas Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment there are guys busy digging up the street and replacing the old metal gas pipe with a plastic one. As part of the work they are replacing the service pipes to each property - including my block of flats. On Tuesday night i came home to a letter from them saying they needed access to my flat to check the location of the gas meter. The next morning the foreman comes round and announces that my gas meter will have to move as it is against regulations to have more than one gas supply to a building? Anyway the next day some gas fitters came round and moved the meter and connected it to the same supply pipe my neigbour uses.

When they disconnected the meter from its origional location the guy just soldered a cap onto the pipe that went on to feed the flat. When I went into the this morning I noticed that the fresh copper cap was covered with a green ooze of some description that was quite greasy feeling. I would swear that this wasn't there the night when the meter was moved.......... Sorry for the long winded post but does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Sponsored Links
flux residue. should have been wiped off after soldering. If its bright green it will have been everflux, dark green/browny it'll be laco.

Its the flux that he has used, from your discription it sounds like Power flow. take an old rag and wipe it off, no harm done.

Where's the new meter location?

If the distance from the meter to your appliances has increased a lot, the gas pressure available may not be suficient for 'big hitters' such as combi boilers.

There are many examples of meters moved out of flats down to street level and combi boilers that don't work at all well afterwards!

Sponsored Links
Cool, cheers guys :D

Its a one bedroom flat and these days it only feeds a gas hob! There is a wall mounted gas fire that is never used and will be removed soon and replaced with an electric fire.

The meter used to be at floor level in a cupboard in the bedroom but was moved to a high level poistion near the door. I don't really know why this was done....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back