Green stuff on my Ideal Standard gold coloured shower head

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please help me with how to remove green stuff growing on my Ideal Standard gold coloured shower head?

Thanks
mygoose

Sponsored Links
Can anyone help with this please?

Thanks for help
mygoose

Sponsored Links
I would have though it was some kind of mineral deposit... copper carbonate or something similar? It depends on the ph of your water as to how much of a problem it is.

Try soaking it in vinegar and then give it a scrub...

I would have though it was some kind of mineral deposit... copper carbonate or something similar? It depends on the ph of your water as to how much of a problem it is.

Try soaking it in vinegar and then give it a scrub...

Thanks. I think it's just the normal algae type stuff that grows on shower heads and the like.

I asked the question because I was concerned and don't know whether things like lemon juice and vinegar may damage the "gold plated" surface?

It's fixed so can't be taken off.

mygoose

Never plucked up the courage to do this as the shower head is gold plated and I am worried about vinegar damaging it. The deposit is dried on limescale (green)

Ideal Standard say their solution for vinegar is for their plastic shower heads and they have not done gold plated ones for many years so have no solution.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks
mygoose

Thanks but are you sure it won't damage the gold plate?

Sorry, I am worried about it.

Thanks for help
mygoose

mygoose on ebay there is a gold plated shower head for £14,that is for triton or mira electric showers,maybe the thread is the same as your shower head

Thanks. EBay is a good idea but I haven't yet found one like mine which is Ideal Standard and originally cost £200 but has not been made for some considerable time and Ideal Standard say they no longer give cleaning instructions for them, only plastic ones.

I would like to clean it but it would help if someone can tell me whether vinegar and lemon juice will damage the gold plate and some instructions how to do it would be helpful.

Thanks for help.

mygoose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back