greenhouse base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just over a 6ft by 6ft slabbed area where I wanted to put an alumnium greenhouse. The slabs, while flush with each other, are not level as a whole. The whole thing slopes into one corner so the height difference will be maybe 1 to 1.5 inches over the 6ft distance.

Not knowing how these greenhouse bases fix, is it possible to level the base using shims before attaching the frame? Or can the base sit unlevel with the frame screwed to it level? Or does the slabbed surface HAVE to be level?

The slabs are loose layed on about 2" of sharp sand. Under this there is another layer of slabs directly on soil (I did this because I wanted to use up some slabs and the 'hole' was about 5" deep. So I put a rough layer of slabs down, then 2" sand then a better finished layer of slabs). The ground itself slopes hence why the new finish also slopes.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Dan, i'm a DIYer not a PRO, but i would lift the top slabs and re-lay them level. A good day's work at the weekend i reckon.

I can't see shims being any use, the frame will probably twist.
And maybe tapered hardwood wedges, but you'd need some decent woodworking skills to get them the right angle and length etc, plus they'd sit where all the water ended up.

Bite the bullet and get them slabs up... rake the sand over, get a level on it...
I'd also probably rake in a bag (or half) of cement, just to firm the thing up. I'm sure the pro's will come and put me right on that !

Good luck.

why do you want to sit a greenhouse on slabs? that means everything will have to be grown in containers or growbags which males watering an even bigger issue. much better to have it directly onto the soil

males watering
are you taking the p*ss? ;)

well a greenhouse can be about benches and propogating and pricking (so i'm told).. so slabs are a good floor choice.. you might want bags of compost and pots and tools on the floor under the bench?

And i forgot to put earlier, why not leave it "on the lean"? what's it going to hurt?

Sponsored Links
After experiencing both a greenhouse on soil and on slabs I can recommend slabs. There were so many roots coming through when it was just soil that all of the water you put on the plants was sucked up by the invading roots.

I only grow tomatoes and growbags are ideal anyway.

i always put concrete blocks into the ground and screw the greenhouse to the blocks. stops it getting blown over in the wind

i always put concrete blocks into the ground and screw the greenhouse to the blocks. stops it getting blown over in the wind

Yes, thats what we used to have. A good few heavy blocks will hold it down, the more the better.

Since the OP was two years ago, hes probably sold up, moved house and left the new owners thinking "is that greenhouse on a slope, or is it my eyes?"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back