Reusing slabs for ant-free greenhouse base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an ugly old patio area which I want to half cover with an 8 by 6 greenhouse.

The slabs are a little uneven and are laid on, and pointed with, sand only.
The biggest problem is ants. There are so many ants that I do wonder if it's one giant colony under that patio.

I’m thinking of covering the slabs where the greenhouse is going with a thin layer or mortar, then using the other half of the slabs on top of this to get a fairly level base that the ants can’t get through.

Another advantage is I then won't have to dispose of loads of slabs.

Is this a crazy idea?

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert, but i didn't think you could 'point' things just with sand?

anyway, i personally think if you have ants under a patio, which is laid on sand only, then the ants will be shifting the sand out from under certain parts and rain will get in, and frost etc and it will all eventually move.

Putting a thin layer of mortar on and more slabs will also eventually crack and break up. So i reckon you need to dig it up, put in a proper subbase,and then bed the slabs properly.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/ is a useful website for starters...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back