Greenhouse foundation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a greenhouse foundation shortly and intend on using 2 parts ballast to 1 lime cement. I want the foundation to be approximately 300wide x 200mm finished below ground level and then bricks built up beyond ground level which the greenhouse will be fitted too. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can save on time and labour? And most importantly how do I level a foundation which is below ground level which the bricks will sit directly on ?

Sponsored Links
What size is the greehouse? If you dont have access to a laser or water level, one way would be to bang a stout peg in the trench so its just above ground, use your level from the top to another peg and do the same all the way around .
Then measure down from the tops to give your levels below ground level

What size is the greehouse? If you dont have access to a laser or water level, one way would be to bang a stout peg in the trench so its just above ground, use your level from the top to another peg and do the same all the way around .
Then measure down from the tops to give your levels below ground level

6 x 8 I think.

What do you think of this youtube tutorial?

No access to a laser or water level that will work in broad daylight. I like your idea but I don't trust my skills to do it correctly.

6 x 8 I think.

What do you think of this youtube tutorial?

No access to a laser or water level that will work in broad daylight. I like your idea but I don't trust my skills to do it correctly.
You still need to use a spirit level to do it the same as in the vid which is probably the same skill level as I suggested
Before I bought a laser receiver I use to use it outside very early in the morning or at dusk so I could see the beam.

Sponsored Links
You still need to use a spirit level to do it the same as in the vid which is probably the same skill level as I suggested
Before I bought a laser receiver I use to use it outside very early in the morning or at dusk so I could see the beam.

I've got a 2.5m level so I'm hoping that will do?

This is the spec of the lime I intend to use:

http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/hanson-castle-25kg-bag-hydrated-lime.html

Hanson Castle Hydrated Lime may be used together with Hanson Castle cements to produce traditional cement: lime: sand mixes for mortars and renders. Hydrated lime being non-hydraulic is not suitable for use in mortars without cement being present. The principal benefit derived from hydrated lime in mortars is its effect of improving the workability and water retention. Whilst the hydrated lime does improve these properties the maximum benefit is derived from the use of lime putty. To produce lime putty, hydrated lime is gradually added to water, in a clean container, with constant stirring to form a paste. The paste is then allowed to condition by standing for at least 24 hours.

Key Features

• Fine Particle Size
  • Enhances water retention
  • Creates a mechanical lock
  • Improves sand carrying capacity
  • Cementitious
  • Increased strength with mortar age
  • Autogenously healing
  • Pozzolanic Reaction
  • Particle Shape
  • Provides lubrication
  • Aids in mortar adhesion
  • The bright white colour of Type S hydrated lime is beneficial for specific mortar types.

Application
Castle Hydrated Lime as a constituent of cement: lime: sand mortars can be used for a wide range of applications for jointing mortars, renders and plasters. Together with Castle ordinary Portland cement and suitable sand the mortar will have excellent workability and good water retention when applied to most bricks, blocks and surfaces to be rendered or plastered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back