grey wall plaster showing through the new coats of paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a new kitchen fitted. It links up with a hallway. There was previously wallpaper on all walls. The whole ceiling was replastered. The wallpaper was stripped off and the plasterer who did the ceiling put new plaster on the kitchen walls (where extra sockets had been fitted) blending it in with the remaining walls. The new plaster was pink whereas the old plaster on the remaining walls was grey. I left everything a month for the plaster to dry out.

The remaining walls I then washed down with sugar soap, rubbed down with light emery, rewashed, etc. The final colour is going to be white everywhere. As I was priming the new plaster with a 33% mist coat, I did the same for the remaining walls. On the new plaster, the mist coat sank in well, giving a pretty even white sheen. On the grey old plaster, much less so. Now I am painting my first top coat of white emulsion.

On the new plaster, everything looks good. On the remaining walls, I can still see grey showing though everywhere in multiple patches!

Will this go away if I keep on putting more coats of emulsion on, or should I stop now and put on an undercoat of white spirit-based white undercoat, or something else, before further top coats?

Sponsored Links
Sorted!!!! I put two further coats of paint on anyway (I had a schedule to keep) and the grey patches disappeared once the paint dried. I was worrying for nothing. Silly me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back