GRID500 dimmer pulsing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Richmond Lighting/Zano Grid500 push dimmer switch module running three recessed 12v 35w tungsten recessed ceiling lights. One bulb has blown and the others are pulsing.

The remaining load of 70w is still well above the dimmer's rated minimum of 40w. Before I buy a new bulb, is there likely to be a problem with the dimmer itself?

If I need a new dimmer, how easy would it be to switch the whole arrangement to LEDs? I do not have easy access through the upstairs floorboards in order to fit a compatible transformer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Alec.

Sponsored Links
is there likely to be a problem with the dimmer itself?
Very likely.
Blown bulb = large surge of current, which can and often does damage dimmers.

how easy would it be to switch the whole arrangement to LEDs?
New LED compatible dimmer, and new LED lighting.
Recessed lights are installed from below, access should not be required from above.

Thanks, flameport. Don't I need a separate 12v transformer then- is it integrated,?

Sponsored Links

Simply remove the 12v power supply. And use 230v LEDs. You'll probably need to change the lamp connector to another type (GU10).
And, yes, the dimmer will need changing to a low-load type that is compatible with the LED lights.
And, yes, make sure the LEDs are dimmerable.

Easy, this electric stuff, isn't it?

Hi TTC,
I did consider that as the ideal solution, which I would certainly do if I had easy access through the upper floor - but there's a huge ceiling-high Swedish floor loom up there. Wife's property and not to be touched for any reason! Not so sure about the "simply" word... the three 12v lamps are 4ft and 10ft apart. Presumably, tucked up in there is a 12v old-style transformer. So I snip the wires at the lights, one at a time, using the end of the cable to pull through the new lengths. At one stage the transformer would straddle the hole and might have to be left behind. And the new one slid in. Then there's the switch to ceiling drop, probably (Sod' s Law) not in conduit. Before I start a job I need to be 100% confident and in this case I have my doubts....:(

Hi TTC,
I did consider that as the ideal solution, which I would certainly do if I had easy access through the upper floor - but there's a huge ceiling-high Swedish floor loom up there. Wife's property and not to be touched for any reason! Not so sure about the "simply" word... the three 12v lamps are 4ft and 10ft apart. Presumably, tucked up in there is a 12v old-style transformer. So I snip the wires at the lights, one at a time, using the end of the cable to pull through the new lengths. At one stage the transformer would straddle the hole and might have to be left behind. And the new one slid in. Then there's the switch to ceiling drop, probably (Sod' s Law) not in conduit. Before I start a job I need to be 100% confident and in this case I have my doubts....:(

You cannot "assume" anything. I doubt that it is a 12v old-style transformer as they cannot be used with dimmers. Whatever is up there may be screwed down and will never straddle the hole.

Good luck, you may have to negotiate with the wife. A few days darkness may help her come round to what is necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back