Grinding Baxi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please help. I have a Baxi boiler (not a combi). The first time it comes on in the morning for the water heater it make a grinding sound. It doesn't happen the rest of the day just the first time. A plumber has been out and changed the fan although he did not know what the cause actually was and hoped changing the fan would resolve it but it is still doing it. The noise is annoying but I am more concerned it is dangerous or about to pack in.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it’s the boiler and not transference from elsewhere?

The boiler is in the garage so it is definitely coming from there.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Do you know if the pump is internal to the boiler?

Sponsored Links
I am not sure, sorry. When my husband asked the plumber if there was a pump in the boiler he said not but can't be certain. I am trying to find a way to add a video as I took one to show the plumber but it is not letting me upload it.

This is the boiler. I am just trying to look to see if it mentions a pump.

Attachments

• IMG20240222210950.jpg
    IMG20240222210950.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Thanks
This is the parts list and the general layout if that is any help. It is all like a foreign language to me!

Attachments

• IMG20240222211541.jpg
    IMG20240222211541.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG20240222211602.jpg
    IMG20240222211602.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
  • Thanks
No it doesn’t have an internal pump. If it’s not the fan I’m not sure myself entirely what it could be. Maybe the solenoid on the gas valve?

I have checked and it is 10 years old this year, not sure how long they usually last. Thank you for your help I can suggest this to the plumber.

• Thanks
I have checked and it is 10 years old this year, not sure how long they usually last. Thank you for your help
They can last for a good number of years
I can suggest this to the plumber.
If you mean the same plumber I would get a different one. No good with a parts slinger. You could consider a fixed price repair from Baxi, but could be expensive if a cheaper part. Hang fire though, as there’s some better engineers on here than me who know more about these boilers.

if you select CH only
The first time it comes on in the morning for the water heater it make a grinding sound.
does it still make a noise .... or do you always have CH&WH on

any idea where the PUMP is , hopefully accessible - maybe with the HOT water TANK and controls
images of what a water pump may look like

We tried putting the heating on first this morning and it didn't make the noise but would need more testing to confirm for definite that it only makes the grinding noise with the water heater. We have the water heater on timer to come on before we get up so usually this is always on first.
The pump I believe is in the airing cupboard, close to the water tank as this has been changed within the last 10 years. As I said, the boiler is in the garage.

Sponsored Links
Back