GRINDING BOILER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I had a combi boiler installed approx 3 years ago. The boiler is a Worcester 28CDi combi.

It has recently started making a kind of loud grinding noise when the hot water taps are turned on and when the heating comes on. I have recently had the room decorated where the boiler is housed. At that point the decorators removed the radiator (which is now leaking so the boiler pressure keeps dropping but I know how to sort that until I can get the radiator fixed). I have had a cupboard built around the boiler with vents in the cupboard doors both at the top and bottom of the door.

At the same time I had floorboards replaced in the room where the boiler is.

Could any of the above changes have anything to do with the grinding noise or is it completely unrelated and do I need an engineer?

I would really appreciate any help as I don't have any sort of cover on my boiler/radiators and don't want to call an engineer if not necessary although the noise is worrying me as it sounds like the boiler is going to explode!!

Thank you - Jacquie

Thank you -

Sponsored Links
As long as the system water pressure is maintained at about 1.5 Bar then the boiler will protect itself from a safety point of view.

Any unexpected noises and in particular a"grinding" noise indicate a non-approved operation and this if continued will probably result in the destruction of the component involved.

The normal expectation is that the owner will call a competent boiler engineer to come and diagnose the problem and assess the situation and carry out the required procedures to restore the operation to within the manufacturers normal operational parameters.

Tony Glazier

sounds more like the diverter valve?
My vaillant ecotec does this and vaillant "Engineer" says they all do that.
What a load of ******.

Sponsored Links
I bow to your experience, but why you should get a grinding noise ??

I would think that a cooling fan fallen off the shaft of the fan would be more of a grinding sound

The motor diverter valves only make a noise for about three seconds.

She has implied that her boiler ( with a different diversion mechanism ) makes the noise all the time.

Tony

Thanks for pointing that out Agile.

So.... this is a known problem if you know that it lasts 3 secs?
Is there anything that can be done?
I can understand a bit of motor noise, but the grinding is rediculous.

Oh dear! I thought we had already explained that to you before?

It is NOT a known problem! Simply because its NOT a problem.

Everyone knows that boilers make a noise when they operate. The noise when the diverter valve operates for 2-3 seconds is part of the normal operation.

The noise from the boiler is much less than 55 dBA at 1 m. You have never apparently measured your boiler's noise.

I immagine that you sit with your ear up against your boiler just so that you can listen to it. Why dont you listen to the radio and that will not only be entertaining but will mask any sound from your boiler.

I have told you, the Vaillant engineer has told you, who else will have to tell you before you want to believe us. I would ask Tony Blair to tell you but nowadays not many want to believe him either!

Tony

well - thank you very much for all your help with my boiler - i finally succumbed and called an engineer - I found a fantastic engineer in yellow pages who diagnosed the grinding noise problem after scratching his head for a couple of minutes.

It was the fan causing the problem. It has now been replaced and the boiler is working perfectlynormal now.

The engineer said that I had been particularly unlucky to have this problem with such a new boiler - but that's just about typical for me!!

Once again - thanks for your help

Jacquie

"It was the fan causing the problem. It has now been replaced and the boiler is working perfectlynormal now. "

What did I say ?

yup Raden - perfect diagnosis from afar!! very impressive - well done and thank you

Jacquie

raden said:
"It was the fan causing the problem. It has now been replaced and the boiler is working perfectlynormal now. "

What did I say ?

Lol, it was only ever going to be the fan or pump so the odds were never against you.....but well done George I'll give you your pat on the back.

ollski said:
raden said:

What did I say ?

Lol, it was only ever going to be the fan or pump so the odds were never against you.....but well done George I'll give you your pat on the back.

Who's george ?

I said "it's the fan" fairly definitely in balck and white

The DIYNOT pluming fraternity then went into overdrive with diverter valves etc.

Who backed me up ? nobody

... and you wonder why I don't take you all seriously ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back