Grindng noise from central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier today my central heating pipework start to emit a loud grinding noise. I traced it to the radiator in the entry area, which I only turn on when it is really cold.

The thermostatic valve was shut and the noise disappeared as soon as I opened it a tiny bit.

I would really appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
To confirm my impression of your complaint; the radiator is normally shut off, and it was shut off at the time that the noise started (ie the state it had been in throughout the milder weather. You had done nothing to change its state BEFORE this noise started.

In response to the noise you opened the radiator valve slightly (the first time you had touched it for several days/weeks/months), and the noise stopped immediately.

If that is correct?
When turned on, which end of the rad gets hot first? The TRV end, or the non-TRV end?
It may be that the TRV has reverse flow and, as it gets near to it's set temperature, the venturi affect (more correctly the Bernouilli effect) causes the TRV plug to vibrate above its seat. Test for this by opening the valve just enough to stop the noise; as the room temperature increases the noise will recur, and altering the setting again (up or down) will silence it.
The solution is to fit the TRV to the other end of the rad, or change it for one that allows bi-directional flow.

Sorry. My brevity was misleading.
I had turned that radiator on for several cold days before today but today I started up the boiler with it turned off and it had been running for quite a while before the noise started. I’ll try your suggested test tomorrow morning.

Sponsored Links
And when I shut the TRV off no noise!!!
That is an overnight change.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back