Gripfill plasterboard to concrete ceiling

T90

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a solid reinforced concrete ceiling in a room in my flat that has a rough textured finish on it (2.1m x 3.2m). I want to clip a couple t&e cables over it to where i want some surface mounted downlights, and glue 3 sheets of 9.5mm plasterboard over, perhaps using solvent gripfill dabs. Then tape and mud joints. Drilling holes for battens/mf ceiling would be a nightmare from experience trying to drill into these ceilings. Do you think the gripfill will hold the board? Or forget the idea?

Sponsored Links
Do you think the gripfill will hold the board?
It might. Or not. Driwall adhesive would be far better, and even that probably isn't intended for ceiling use.
In either case there is the significant problem of supporting the boards while the adhesive sets.

The real answer is to fix wooden or metal battens to the ceiling first, and screw the boards to those.
Battens are fixed with a gas nailer, such as a Spit Pulsa 800P. They can be hired. No drilling required.

If you can't batten out the ceiling (which I agree is the correct approach), British Gypsum Coving Adhesive is very strong. I have used it to put up solid plaster coving and ceiling roses with a lot of weight. Obviously these are put up with mechanical fixings too but on its own, the adhesive has proven strong enough to me to support whole lengths of plaster coving.

Sponsored Links
What about using gripfill to glue batons to the ceiling (with hot melt glue to fix them whilst the gripfill cures).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back