Grit? in cold water supply blocking taps, washer etc

Presuming the hydrant run off was to see if there was any grit in their supply, apparently it was clear (sad the water man).

The filters and strainers are all well and good, but for the past 5 years, they've had no issues, then about two months ago, fun and games with grit in the cold water. Nothing has been changed in their house and seemingly no water works done in their street.

What I can't believe that this 'grit' has been in their pipework for the last 8 years... as there seems little explanation other than in the water supply already.

Nothing has been flushed in the house yet, but the plumber is coming out to do this, so will report back.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Does the kitchen sinks cold tap also block with that stuff ?
Is your underground water supply pipe Lead ?

But you've got an unvented cylinder?
Sorry, I don't follow?
It's BIL's, not mine... I'm not familiar with unvented cylinders (he's DIY challenged too :LOL:) .

Supply pipe appears to be plastic MDPE job, and yes the kitchen tap was partially blocked... but not the downstairs loo tap.

Sponsored Links
Some unvented cylinders (this is a hot water cylinder that is fed directly from the main, not from a cold water tank) have an internal plastic component that can degrade and break up with age.

I've heard of it but not seen it happen. I don't recall the brand name.

Some unvented cylinders (this is a hot water cylinder that is fed directly from the main, not from a cold water tank) have an internal plastic component that can degrade and break up with age.

I've heard of it but not seen it happen. I don't recall the brand name.
Yes, I've read about this, but lead to believe it affects the hot supply only... which interestingly is working properly.

Megaflo unvented - the internal baffle degrades and breaks down but that's not sandy, that's more blueish/greenish type plastic stuff

img-20221011-wa0011-jpg.282360

Plumbers' been out and took the kitchen tap apart, found larger chippings of rocks in the tap, he has said its originated from a burst water main somewhere local and worked its way down. Just unlucky.

Turns out the expansion tank for the cylinder also had no air in it... so has been re-pressurised.

Suggested BIL goes back to water company to have a complaint... not sure if it will make a difference, but worth a try.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back