Gritting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there no one employed by our useless Government and local authorities who watches the weather forecast. Is there no one who has the common sense to say "Severe snow is forecast, we had best get the snowplows and gritters ready". Do they all have to wait till its falling before they think about it, and then blame the weathermen for not giving them 10 days notice in triplicate.

Sponsored Links
Indeed, they're pretty sh!te. We had snow Sunday night through most of Monday, and some more snow last night. In-between the snow has melted and frozen to solid ice. Not a single road or pavement round here has been gritted in that time, it's like a bloody ice-rink (with exception of outside the council offices, that's been gritted :rolleyes: ).

I just don't understand why the busiest world airport Heathrow and other large airports in UK don't have some good equipment to fight with f****ng snow... That is just amazing... :confused:

I just don't understand why the busiest world airport Heathrow and other large airports in UK don't have some good equipment to fight with f****ng snow... That is just amazing... :confused:
Why did you feel the need to say this twice, on two seperate topics?

And my local council has gritted all the major roads. My house is only 100 yards from the nearest gritted road. :D

Sponsored Links
I feel the need to say it twice because that situation with airport robbed me some good business deals in Europe... And I am very disappointed with that... crazy...

Heathrow didn't have too many problems, at least one runway was operating the majority of the time, they were only both closed at the same time for a 30 minute period during heavy snow which effected visibility... not much they can do about that.

Our council ran out of salt this week , so used sand :confused: Not quite sure what help that would be :eek:

I think its because its a good excuse for people to take time off work?

How much would you like them to spend on machinery, for a once in every 20 years event.
And how much would you like them to spend on maintenance, for when they are required.

so its all the councils fault. SO you wont moan when they put up the council tax to pay for the extra equipment thats needed once in a blue moon?

And have you done anything to help yourself? Bought winter tyres for the car and put them on just in case?

I have winter tires on my car now and i keep them just in case in my garage... :D maybe thats because i come from northern country. But i feel good to be prepared.

How much would you like them to spend on machinery, for a once in every 20 years event.
And how much would you like them to spend on maintenance, for when they are required.

Saw a snippet in a news article that said Heathrow had full fleet of 58 ploughs and de-icers deployed. It's just logistically impossible to expect a busy airport to service a full flight schedule whilst they're working to keep it all safe and clear of snow and ice on the ground.

You're never going to satisfy everyone or every situation - I'm just glad something has managed to push the economic 'Crisis' off our TV screens for one week.

Saw a snippet in a news article that said Heathrow had full fleet of 58 ploughs and de-icers deployed. It's just logistically impossible to expect a busy airport to service a full flight schedule whilst they're working to keep it all safe and clear of snow and ice on the ground.

Winsta, how many more gritters, ploughs etc should they have.

You have to bear in mind that in order to grit, plough, sweep runways they have to be shut for a period of time. Also a plane went off one of the taxiways adding to the problems.

You're never going to satisfy everyone or every situation - I'm just glad something has managed to push the economic 'Crisis' off our TV screens for one week.

Bet you G Brown had the snow imported, that way the spot light is on another problem, and away from the recession. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back