Grohe tap needs fitting, but no space to tighten compression fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm very new to doing anything with plumbing, so hoping someone might be able to help me out a little here. Right, so the background is I currently have an Adobe Vixo tap which was fitted up when I bought the house. The tap has has a persistent leak which I've not been able to solve replacing seals and such, so have decided to switch and have got myself a Grohe Minta Smartcontrol tap.

The old taps screwed straight onto the check valve; of course the smaller Grohe tails can't do that so I grabbed these compression adapting connectors. So I just need to put it and an olive into the valve, tighten it hella-tight, and then connect the Grohe tails to it. My theory seemed fairly sound but in practice it's almost impossible.

The reason is the way the previous homeowner has set up the kitchen kitchen plumbing and worktop. Basically the worktop and cabinets below are one integrated unit with very little access to the plumbing. I can get one arm in the side and can remove the old tails. I also got the new compression adapting connectors on, but can't get them nearly as tight as I need as there just isn't the space for me to get any leverage. And getting to a stage where I can get decent leverage would involved most of the kitchen worktop coming off.

Are there any types of adapters which would go onto the check valve but seal with a rubber seal (and therefore not needing to be super-tight), but which would then give me a male 3/8 BSP fitting so I could use the Grohe tails with rubber washer? I'm not really sure what else I can do without getting drastic here.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you guys out there can offer me :)

Sponsored Links
Try tightening the adapter to the tap connector first then offer up the nut and olive to the valve. Wrap ptfe tape around the olive to help seal.
Use an open ended spanner as they are slimmer than an adjustable and you can turn it over for a different angle.
But really you need to get another spanner on the valve body to provide counter support, otherwise you might move something else lower down.
There are also "remote" spanner gadgets called tap nut spanner or basin spanner that may help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back