Ground floor insulation advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I'd like to install some ground floor insulation in our house while we've got the floorboards up and am after some advice if possible.

We've got a suspended timber floor, but unfortunately the joists are only 8" off the bottom so I'm not going to be able to work from underneath. The other limiting factor is that there are a couple of partition walls sitting directly on the floorboards so I will not be able to pull up every single floorboard without chopping them up, and even if I do I won't be able to insulate every single part of the ground floor.

So considering all this...
1) Is it worth doing?
2) If it is worth doing what would the best method? Is it realistic to slide Kngspan or equivalent under floorboards if I can pull up neighbouring ones, or would it be easier to use wool?

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
1) Is it worth doing?
Undoubtedly

2) If it is worth doing what would the best method?

I suggest you use a big staple-gun to fix some sort of netting - plastic if possible or maybe chicken-wire - to the bottom of the joists and then lay fibre-wool on top.

Personally I wouldn't use rigid board because of the aggravation and MUCH higher cost,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back